Wavecor driver question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
This is because their model is more for hifi brands than the diy market, like brands as PHL for instance. They focus on the pro market imho.

SB is an swap alternative to Thymphany
Wavecore is something between Thymphany quality and ScanSpeak Revelator or Seas Excell to make short; but nearer from Revelators and Excell in quality terms with their balanced drives motors.
I lurk towards their tiny tweeters that permit short C2C, but imho Thymphany tweeters winn vs the Wavecores... But the horned tweeter of the last are imho again and theoricaly a good swap for horned Seas tweeter à la DXT serie. YMMV.

If one has monney, it is not iresponsible to make a shortcut and rank like that in the order and you will see the prices follow that logic :

- ScanSpeak balanced drives speakers (i.e. Revelators and Illuminator) / Seas Excels
- Wavecores balanced drive speakers, imho the 7" are very interresting value./SB Acoustic Satori motor line.

- SB Acoustic CAC/NBAC/BAC/NRX/CRC
-Thymphanys NE

For my monney for example the SB23CAC or NBAC is a cheap interresting swap to the Wavecores fiber glass 7" (around twice cheaper are the SBs... but again the price logic is proof: you pay for what you get)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
yes, a little expensive I find. But quality is almost in part with their best drivers with revalators. Their big bass drivers are irrealisticly priced...

The factory being chineese, maybe the workers incomes have raised vs the indonesian ones ???

@ oldspeakerguy : have you heared the Peereless Vifas tweeters with the ring and te little bullet ? What do you think of their sounding please ? I plan to buy the little bafle less after a member advice for my cheap next project : Dome tweeter Peerless OT19NC00-04, 4 ohm, 0.75 inch voice coil , did you hear the bigger bulet brothers ?

To make things more interesting / complicated, here in indonesia the wavecor drivers are priced cheaper than the satoris.

Some says many wavecor dealers here are cutting their ties to the brand because of the poor sales, so that they were heavily discounted.

The satoris are no doubt have the high end looks and sound. I have heard it couple of times before. No idea about the wavecors until now.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Again, I think the original Satori with paper (Papyrus) are very hard to beat for design, build and sound quality ALL. I only have 1 each Wavecor 8 inch (balanced drive); it is a nice driver for sure but not as musically satisfying or accurate as the Satori MW16 (I just sold). I also have the "Vifa" NE225W08HS 8 inch. I like these way better than the Wavecor of the same size. They are not quite as musical as the smaller Satori BUT, I needed more output in the bass and they certainly do that WAY better than the Satori. I still have my Satori MR16 mids; again, very hard to beat in my opinion! Wavecor is a good choice though; ESPECIALLY at a discounted price!

I used WF182BD09 woofers, very clean look and build quality, consistent gap between surrond and the frame, no excessive glue, etc. One woofer started to "resonate" after some time, after inspection I found out that centering spider got loose from the former. There were no signs of mechanical damage, the disconnect was clean, like glue did not adhere well to former.
I also have 4 WF223BD02, their out of box Fs is very close to specs. They also very well built, surround centering, no excessive glue, dust cap glueing,...all is nice.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thanks OlSG, I am going to purchase them so... I lurked the DA25TX, but the large face plate is a no go for my project : I want a C2C whithin 10 cm, hard to do better than 1/2 wave length at 3000 hz cut off.

Sorry guys for the off topic.

Interresting testimonial bravani about the price in Indonesia between the two brands... Is there many loudspeakers assembly factories there ? Or maybe a local strategy from Wavecore against SB for the pro purchasers ???:confused:

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Well, I wonder if anyone ever did a direct comparison of these to the very similar Scans???

Back on topic; Which Wavecor tweeters have people tried and had good results? I have another possible project coming and am looking to maybe a Wavecor 2-way in the medium price range (not highest end, not budget, about half way in the Wavecor line up of smaller mid-bass and tweeter).

Thanks!

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Sure, according good doctor iggy :

Wavecor WF223BD02 : around 20/25 liters sealed full foamed inside à la Harbeth , QTC around 0.62 ; F3 around <60hz; F8 <35 hz : bookshelf type near the walls! It is said the datasheet of the wavecores are acccurate enough but I don't know, maye try to read AudioXpress reviews.

tweeter, not a wavecore or the horned one for the fun, if not horned the Peereless Corundum DA25TX, cut-off between 1500 hz/2000 hz

Filter : your choice :) ... why not à la Proac : referenced to the negative rail so both driver out of polarity , second order for the woof, third order for the tweeter (bessel?)

Last edited:
Hello diyiggy, I've mention on the earlier post. Many wavecor dealers here are suffering poor decline in sales, made worse by the pandemic state. So that they have to clear the inventory by giving heavy discount in order to survive. Some of them even clearing out because they just want to close their business. If they were not on sale, the wavecor drivers Are on par with the satoris. For a bit of reference, the satori mw16p here is IDR 5,000,000 For a pair. Roughly in the usd $300 ballpark.

I remember last year seeing the price label on the wavecor bd182 at $280 pair and complained about it. I thought the price is just ridiculous, you could get the satori for a couple of dollar more.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.