Are GR Research kits really as good as people say?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all. I'm considering a GR Research kit. Needs to be a floorstanding traditional box-style speaker, 8ohms, highish efficiency (roughly 90 dB/w or greater). So I'm leaning towards the X-MTM Encore.

I haven't ever built speakers, but I have plenty of experience with DIY audio electronics. I'll get my brother-in-law, an avid woodworker, to help me with the cabinets.

But I'm wondering, are GR Research designs really as awesome as people say they are? I know everyone at AudioCircle thinks they're the bee's knees. I can't help but wonder if there's any fanboy mob mentality going on there though. I've been following their forum at AC for about 10 years now, and I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone say a bad thing about them.

Are they really just that good?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, they are great kits. I have the XL-S two ways. Quality drivers and heavy air core inductors, nice film caps, thick PCB for crossover. Kit came with Teflon silver wires, silver solder, all screws and hardware, binding posts, vent tubes. They sound great too. Plus, the customer service is excellent. You get to deal directly with Danny Ritchie, the owner and he is very helpful and a talented designer. You won’t be able to make a better speaker yourself for less. So the value is tops. Highly recommended.

A good floor stander is a taller XL-S with deeper bass extension. You can get the upgraded version called the XL-S Encore. The MTM version is probably very good too - will have higher sensitivity.

But I'm wondering, are GR Research designs really as awesome as people say they are? I know everyone at AudioCircle thinks they're the bee's knees. I can't help but wonder if there's any fanboy mob mentality going on there though. I've been following their forum at AC for about 10 years now, and I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone say a bad thing about them.

Are they really just that good?

No question about the fanboy mob mentality over at AudioCircle. But it's worse than that.

You can't say anything negative or controversial about one of the paid sponsors. If you do your post will removed and you might even be banned from posting any further.

They have board monitors who watch all the posts like hawks to make sure that the paid sponsors are not ever criticized. It's very much about the money from the sponsors.

That's why you've never seen anyone say anything bad about the GR Research designs or any other manufacturer's products either.

However, please don't take that to mean the GR Research products aren't good. It's simply a matter that the controlled blocking of criticism really leaves any conclusions very questionable. It is not an objective website.

Last edited:
Hi,
Bought many drivers from GR Research, Danny, incl. M130, M165X and tweeter all very good esp. when one is learning no point in buying expensive drivers, great value for the money I paid for.
All the drivers responses are well behaved hence easy to design around them, I used the above for an open baffled speakers.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I tend toward a subtle, acoustic sound. A more natural and transparent sound. To my ears the GR designs are much more of an "exciting loudspeaker" hyper sound. It's a lot of fun and I've seen big smiles on people's faces in front of GR research speakers. They sound big, bold and Rock-n-Roll. A popular style, just not my style. I like big, but not so brash.

Don't worry, you should have a lot of fun with them. :up:

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The measurements of XL-S Encore by Audio Science Review seems to show a pretty neutral frequency response. Nothing exaggerated that would make them too “exciting”.

Perhaps you may be referring to one of their other speakers?

index.php

Last edited:
I tend toward a subtle, acoustic sound. A more natural and transparent sound. To my ears the GR designs are much more of an "exciting loudspeaker" hyper sound. It's a lot of fun and I've seen big smiles on people's faces in front of GR research speakers. They sound big, bold and Rock-n-Roll. A popular style, just not my style. I like big, but not so brash.

Don't worry, you should have a lot of fun with them. :up:

This is pretty much the same conclusion that Ron at New Record Day came to when comparing the GR Research NX-Oticas to the Spatial Audio M3 Sapphires. He talks about the GRs being very detailed and revealing. Maybe a little too much so for some people. Here is the link:

Spatial M3 Sapphires: Pairings and Comparisons! - YouTube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.