ideas for a new build !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My friend just built a Home theatre and has asked me to build speakers for him.

Some high level project goals:

- The budget for the L + R is around $2k.

- He wants it to be able to play loud, with lots of deeper Bass (40-70Hz),

- but also sound "high end" at lower volumes

- The cabinets cannot exceed 10" baffle by 60" tall (maybe 16" deep at most)

- He is open to Subwoofer augmentation of the lower LF

- Primary use, Home theatre and dance parties , secondary use, Audiophile listening...

Thinking of building it around four Dayton RSS-225-8's... still deciding on mods and tweets

Thoughts...

Last edited:
Can your friend bi-amp the L+R main speakers? An amplifier designed with an electric low frequency crossover for bi-amping will make the bass more dynamic and also simplify the passive crossover.

Dennis Murphy in the htforum documents a TMWW using low cost Dayton drivers. The center channel W-T&M-W used a modest sealed volume vertical T-M stack with one 8" woofer on each side.
-------------
Great HT needs impact, plus crisp details to identify direction and height. Several positive reviews recommend the medium cost aluminun cone drivers from SB_Acoustics. A step above the Dayton drivers. I would favor these.

SB26ADC-4 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter
SB17BAC35-4 6.2" Black Aluminum cone midbass
SB23BAC45-8 8" Black Aluminum cone woofer
SB23BAC45-8 8" Black Aluminum cone woofer
Total: $360
-------------

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/359930-timer-home-theater-speaker-build-2.html#post6337451

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/359930-timer-home-theater-speaker-build-2.html#post6349306

Attachments

• TMWW  SB_aluminum cone.jpg
    TMWW SB_aluminum cone.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 424
Look at Peter Norbaek kits, SBA 941 and Scan-Speak B1371 with 12 inch woofer, . The latter should tick all boxes. Not cheap, especially due to using quite hi-end parts in crossover kit, but I think you can build it for less if look closely for good solutions.

Look also for some of Troels designs, he has both cheap and expensive.

And there is also Jintani speaker on facebook group as well, made by Jeff Bagdy and Javad Shadzi.

However, I have read many times you need to spend dozens of thousands to beat Jim Holtz Statements II, and they are not using any extreme parts to build. Mids are from Vifa NE and top end is Fountek NEO CD1.

Lots of choices, but you will be good it staying with any proven project from respected designer (Peter Norbaek PBN, Campbell and Holtz, Bagby, Shadzi, SelahAudio, Kittenger, Carmody, perhaps I am missing someone, and of course Troles)

Look at Peter Norbaek kits, SBA 941 and Scan-Speak B1371 with 12 inch woofer, . The latter should tick all boxes. Not cheap, especially due to using quite hi-end parts in crossover kit, but I think you can build it for less if look closely for good solutions.

Look also for some of Troels designs, he has both cheap and expensive.

And there is also Jintani speaker on facebook group as well, made by Jeff Bagdy and Javad Shadzi.

However, I have read many times you need to spend dozens of thousands to beat Jim Holtz Statements II, and they are not using any extreme parts to build. Mids are from Vifa NE and top end is Fountek NEO CD1.

Lots of choices, but you will be good it staying with any proven project from respected designer (Peter Norbaek PBN, Campbell and Holtz, Bagby, Shadzi, SelahAudio, Kittenger, Carmody, perhaps I am missing someone, and of course Troles)

Maybe you didn't read the initial post, but K-amps requirement is that the baffle width cannot exceed 10 inches. Most, if not all, of your suggestions have wider baffles.

That is why I suggested Jeff Bagby's Testarossa. It is one of the few high performance designs that still maintains a narrow baffle width of just 8.5". And it is only 39" high, which fits well into the required height limit of 60".

He also expressed an interest in Neo 10 ribbons, so even better than that the Testarossa utilizes the RAAL 70-20RX Ribbon Tweeters. And since this is still within his budget of 2K it could very well be the best fit.

I really like the Testarossa's... and they check a lot of boxes for us... they just don't look like the type you'd use for parties... or theatre rumble. Maybe Adding a feww woofers for the lower end might do it... Something like the Raal + one Satori plus four RS225's.

I've never understood the desire people have for theatre rumble. In fact, it's a big part of the reason my wife and I have rarely gone to movie theaters ever since it was introduced a long time ago. We find it very annoying and have come close to leaving the theater mid performance just for that reason alone on the rare occasion when we have gone to see a movie.

My interest are much more at the audiophile level that emphasizes sound quality over everything else. However, if it is "rumble" that you want then perhaps there are better speaker choices for you.

Last edited:
I really like the Testarossa's... and they check a lot of boxes for us... they just don't look like the type you'd use for parties... or theatre rumble. Maybe Adding a feww woofers for the lower end might do it... Something like the Raal + one Satori plus four RS225's.
Than definitely look for SelahAudio DIY kits. He has a lot of great narrow baffle designs, some of them including ribbon tweeters. I you want something from his older designs or custom no problem with it, he is very good and fast in personal contact.

Testarossa is absolutely great and I also.mentioned it, but not directly. Also, narrow baffle and good for cinema doesn't go in par hence I suggested bigger things.

Last edited:
This is a good point to discuss value / invesment in amplifiers and DSP crossovers-equalization. Sealed box woofers can produce the best bass transients with the correct amplifiers and crossovers.

Your friend may decide to spend part of the $1000/speaker budget on amps/DSP. ( bi-amp?)
---------
What amps/equalizers does your friend alredy have? Want to purchase?

Attachments

• Bi_amp example.JPG
    Bi_amp example.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 190
Good point. He has no eq’s but I made him get a Parasound 2205 ( 5 channels x 220 watts) he can use 4 channels in the main LR ( Biamp or bridge depending on how the drivers are wired) and the 5th channel can go to a center channel in the future.

What EQ/ dsp’s do you recommend?

The MiniDSP 2x4HD for ~$205 has positive reviews and good documentation. A good match for his 5-channel amplifier. One will support bi-amping both the L & R speakers including some room-bass equalization. PartsExpress and Madisound often have BlackFriday Sales.

SB26ADC-4 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter
SB17BAC35-4 6.2" Aluminum cone midbass SEALED
SB23BAC45-8 8" Aluminum cone woofer can be sealed+equalized, or ported
SB23BAC45-8 8" Aluminum cone woofer can be sealed+equalized, or ported
Total: $340

Passive crossover parts for tweeter and midrange ~$50 per speaker. This bi-amp arrangement allows future flexibility to put the T-M in a separate cabinet, or add a center ported TM with -F3 ~43Hz.

SO...the $1,000/speaker budget will leave $350 for wood work.

(edge baffle distortion.... cut Avalon-style edge bevels for free.... round edges perform well with a 1.5" quarter-round router bit for $100-$150)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.