Small Center Channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I want to start a project for my new house, it is a central channel for my home audio.
The problem is that I only have 10 cm in height for said speaker
Does anyone know of an interesting project that drivers can easily get?
Maximum length for said central channel is about 80 cm
I need your help...
Thank you

I made something similar for my sister a few years back. Basically a CC that needed to be about the size of an average DVD player, about 64mm x 450mm.

I've hesitated to suggest it because by the normal standards here, it is a flawed speaker. The FR lacks a little bit in the high end and the off-axis responses are not uniform. However, I don't think it's likely you are going to find many pre-existing designs that are going to meet your size constraints, so I'm just throwing it out there for you to take a look at. I made it to replace a Sony HT in a box CC that only used 1 single driver. Personally I thought it sounded quite good and way better than the original it was replacing.

The speaker is a curved line array using 6 of the little 2" Aura Whispers which may or may not be available in the EU. It's tuned for placement right into a shelf/cubbyhole so without any baffle step compensation. F3 is only about 260Hz in a sealed box so you'll need a sub that can cross that high and best be located near the CC. Tuning could be changed to a vented alignment though to give an F3 closer to ~144Hz.

A couple of pics are below. The FR's include a sub. The 1st graph is 0, 4 and 12 degrees off-axis. The 2nd is 0, 20 and 25 degrees off-axis. If you've got a decent AVR, the dropping high end could probably be fixed with its internal eq program. Let me know if you want more details.

Attachments

• DSC01946.jpg
    DSC01946.jpg
    721.3 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC01933.jpg
    DSC01933.jpg
    892.6 KB · Views: 147
  • pic V64 FR + sub 0 - 12 degrees.JPG
    pic V64 FR + sub 0 - 12 degrees.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 148
  • pic V64 FR + sub 0, 20, 25 degrees.JPG
    pic V64 FR + sub 0, 20, 25 degrees.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 146
A look at the user manual suggests that this receiver does not allow you to manually vary the xo points to the sub for the the different speakers. In other words you can only select large or small for the speakers and then the AVR will set the xo point automatically. I am going to assume that that would be at the standard of about 80Hz - I couldn't find anything to tell me otherwise.

Therefore this CC would not be the best choice for this AVR because it won't be reproducing the octave from 80Hz to 160Hz.

If anyone has any info to show that my research is incorrect, please let me know.

Sorry I don't know of any other diy designs to fit the brief.

So if you go with the speaker I designed, you'll likely be missing the octave from about 80Hz to 160Hz in the CC. That's definitely not great but it may be better than nothing? And maybe you'll get a better AVR someday soon. We can all dream....

Choices are up to you.

Great if you can get that to fit in your space, that should be a very good speaker.

I don't know anything about your AVR other than what I was looking at in the user manual. That is that it's an older model and lacks features, in particular I noticed that it didn't have a manually variable xo point for each speaker to the sub and I don't think it had one of the on board eq'ing systems that uses a mic and in-room measurements.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.