Help expert woodworkers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Someone on this forum advised me to use this sort of bit... it worked extremely well cutting both cherry veneer and walnut veneer. The bearing surface is not nearly as deep as the roller bearing on most trim bits. Router from the veneer side.

Attachments

• bit.png
    bit.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 422
I would not use power tools on veneer.
A laminate trimmer is a small router specifically used for thin laminates which are very similar to veneer. There is nothing wrong with using a router on veneer so long as you take small cuts to avoid splintering, possibly even using a climb cut (anti-clockwise if cutting a driver recess). That being said, I missed the point about the OP question, what should be used in that instance is a rebating/rabbeting bit.

update: I should mention I used exactly that bit to slightly enlarge the recess for speaker build yesterday.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Ok, I'll grant you that but as someone who is learning, OP should not be encouraged to think that power tools are necessary or superior. You learn the craft with no electricity, except for the lights. You can achieve the finest work by hand.

Ok, I'll grant you that but as someone who is learning, OP should not be encouraged to think that power tools are necessary or superior. You learn the craft with no electricity, except for the lights. You can achieve the finest work by hand.
Certainly true, but even with decades of experience I wouldn't claim to be able to cut a perfect circle with hand tools, something that is trivially easy with a router and jig.

Allen is right. If you have a circular cut-out with a circular rebate to flush mount the driver, and you have veneered the surface, you can use a sharp knife (X-acto or utility knife – use a fresh blade) to follow the rebate edge and trim the veneer. I would rough cut it with a scissors first.

A small router or laminate trimmer works well also. This is what I use.

For me, cutting the rebate is the second step in cutting a hole.

1) First I drill the 1/8 inch hole for the circle jig pin. This is a full depth hole. My baffles are usually 2 layers of 3/4 inch stock.

2) I cut the rebate (flange recess) so that the depth is equal to the driver flange thickness and the diameter is the driver diameter + 1mm or + 1/16 inch. I use a 3/4 diameter rabbeting bit in a small router. I use a Jasper circle jig.

3) Using a 1/4 inch spiral up-cut bit, I cut the hole. I make multiple cuts, each about 1/4 to 3/8 inch deep. Halfway through I flip the panel over and cut from the other side.

4) After the circle is cut out, I use a 60 degree chamfer bit with a roller bearing to chamfer the back side. My bit is a top-mounted bearing, so this has to be done from the back side of the panel.

Since I need access to the back side of the baffle, all my circle cutting operations have to be done before the panel is assembled to the box.

I prefer to veneer the finished box, so for me, the veneer gets applied over a fully machined driver hole. A laminate trim bit works great for trimming out the veneer, but a sharp X-acto knife would work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.