Active LR4 crossover phase matching using a DSP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switching gears, any idea why Self says the outputs can be regarded as uncorrelated? It seems like it's the same signal just being sent through a voltage divider, albeit a divider that varies by freq.

Anyway, it's clear to see there is an electrical power dip going to the speaker.
But how does that translate into an acoustical power dip coming out of the speaker?
An acoustic power dip seems to ignore the efficiency gain provided by two sources as per my prior example (unless lack of correlation is at the heart of it).
The amplitude is flat because the voltages sum together and the power has a dip because they are uncorrelated and don't add in the same way. Your last sentence is the answer. My post above yours had the best explanation I can give as to the why.

Even though the phase warping not is directly audible, I experience a clear difference between LR4 and LR2 filters, which I connect to different "warping characteristics" (both have pros and cons and are good at different aspects).
In this sense "phase in general" also seems to have a kind of audibility.
There is a much greater difference between an LR2 and an LR4 than the difference in phase alone. The drivers are summed over a wider range and the power response can be very different depending on the directivity of the drivers. These factors would have a much more audible effect. To hear the effects of phase on a crossover and keep that the only variable is a better but slightly more difficult test.

You may well know this ...pls don't be offended if i'm talking like a damn teacher.

No worries there, thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately I quit university (ee) way back then to become a software engineer, so I have to learn all these mathematical concepts on my own. Especially if you're developing your own crossover software that can be painful at times ;)

Thx fluid,
I need to test the lack of correlation with acoustic level summations.
Is there any other counter for the lack of an efficiency gain from two sources back to level, other than the split signal being non-correlated?
The non-correlated bit just doesn't make sense still..

I'm not sure how to do such a test with something other than a sub, where on-ax is probably a decent proxy for total acoustic power.

Thx fluid,
I need to test the lack of correlation with acoustic level summations.
Is there any other counter for the lack of an efficiency gain from two sources back to level, other than the split signal being non-correlated?
The non-correlated bit just doesn't make sense still..

I'm not sure how to do such a test with something other than a sub, where on-ax is probably a decent proxy for total acoustic power.

Put a two way speaker with a basic LR2 or LR4 crossover in a room and take a Moving Mic Measurement. You will see a dip in the response at the crossover point.

This is power response so one single axis will not necessarily reveal it. In room response has enough similarity to a power response to show it.

Put a two way speaker with a basic LR2 or LR4 crossover in a room and take a Moving Mic Measurement. You will see a dip in the response at the crossover point.

This is power response so one single axis will not necessarily reveal it. In room response has enough similarity to a power response to show it.

Ok, if it measures, that will be easier to detect than i thought possible...

I totally get it has to be about power response, cause I've seen too many on-ax measurements to know there is no dip on-ax.

Hey, if acoustic power response dip is really so.. it appears to be one more reason to go steep. Less width in the power response loss area.

Don, this is the longer quote from Self which seems much the same?

"The power response of a loudspeaker is the sum of all its off-axis and on-axis amplitude/frequency responses; it is the frequency response of the total acoustical power radiated into a given listening space. Because the signals are not phase-correlated, phase is ignored and summation is by RMS addition of the highpass output VHP with the lowpass output VLP: "

attachment.php

Attachments

• sum.JPG
    sum.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 231
Ok, if it measures, that will be easier to detect than i thought possible...

I totally get it has to be about power response, cause I've seen too many on-ax measurements to know there is no dip on-ax.

Hey, if acoustic power response dip is really so.. it appears to be one more reason to go steep. Less width in the power response loss area.

I've seen it in so many measurements that I'm sure you will be able to see it too. The lower the order the more range it will cover.

Don, this is the longer quote from Self which seems much the same?

"The power response of a loudspeaker is the sum of all its off-axis and on-axis amplitude/frequency responses; it is the frequency response of the total acoustical power radiated into a given listening space. Because the signals are not phase-correlated, phase is ignored and summation is by RMS addition of the highpass output VHP with the lowpass output VLP: "

My question remains, Why are the signal's not phase correlated?

Has anyone tested our audibility of phase shift by itself with an all pass filter at different filter settings? I guess there would be some kind of threshold of audibility.

Plas, like this? I'm new to FIR but will test it later on, the bad thing, the memory flip is 2 sec silence on OpenDRC-DA8.

The best i think is to record the signal 2 times and flip between the same song.

Attachments

• Anteckning 2020-10-22 001923.jpg
    Anteckning 2020-10-22 001923.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.