Midrange experiment with Auto sound panel deadener and high density acoustic felt..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Boy, that took a while. Around 60 individually cut pieces per box, and filled to the brim. It’s so full that the drivers actually sit Securely at the height they’ll be mounted at, and the felt continues all the way to the back of the speaker. The baffle will be made from two layers of 1/4” maple, with a central layer of sorbothane, and mounted to the speaker with sorbothane gaskets. crossover points will be 500hz and 2.5khz

Attachments

• EFD35034-0027-44A5-A296-00C9D249006D.jpeg
    EFD35034-0027-44A5-A296-00C9D249006D.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,334
  • 489C77EF-0FFB-4E75-9710-BDB93893F4FB.jpeg
    489C77EF-0FFB-4E75-9710-BDB93893F4FB.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,334
Last edited:
Drivers being used. The spec sheet states 84db on the mids, but they have been consistently measured by several users at around 87db, which is a much more usable efficiency rating. It actually makes sense because all of the other Peerless HDS drivers using this motor measure around 87 to 88db. Anyway, as you can see, it's extremely pistonic within it's operating range.

Attachments

• 830881.pdf
    81.4 KB · Views: 120
  • d2608-913000.pdf
    237.7 KB · Views: 73
I actually love what's on top right now, but I had these other things sitting around, so what the hell, I may as well see if I can outdo it. The Scanspeak 10f/8424 needs a little more EQ in it's passband than I'm comfortable with. I'd like to see if I can get a flatter midband response without the tweeking from my current project. I may also go with two layers of 1/4" aluminum plate with a constrained layer of Sorbothane instead of the maple I wrote about earlier, because the 1/4" maple just wont be rigid enough for what I'm trying to achieve

so how does it sound ?
The baffles are yet to be made (The baffle parts haven't arrived yet) , but measurements will come in a couple weeks
I don't understand...really!
Do a measurement tells how a thing sound?
:whazzat:
And it doesn't have to cost much, indeed a piece of elastic string costs few cents - Yes, felt is expensive. I made a tailored custom dress for the Thiel/Seas
... and I don't think it needs massive EQ...I just use 47 uF for HP for now...since max power is 6 W, as you may see from the pic- the little Cd/tuner/tape combo- and still the little 1mF amplifier output cap provides for room fillin/glass trembling :eek:;

Attachments

• scarraffone.jpeg
    scarraffone.jpeg
    897.9 KB · Views: 658
I don't understand...really!
Do a measurement tells how a thing sound?
:whazzat:
And it doesn't have to cost much, indeed a piece of elastic string costs few cents - Yes, felt is expensive. I made a tailored custom dress for the Thiel/Seas
... and I don't think it needs massive EQ...I just use 47 uF for HP for now...since max power is 6 W, as you may see from the pic- the little Cd/tuner/tape combo- and still the little 1mF amplifier output cap provides for room fillin/glass trembling :eek:;

Having seen some of the gear on this forum I thought that I was the odd one out with my mad " creations "; it's nice to see that someone else is inventive. I often have a spider web of wires ( ends twisted together ) and bits hanging out. My box in a box speaker ( nearly finished ) is in the same vein of trying to make substantial reductions in box noise. Is that a JVC cd player?

It's full of electronic switches...there are three that select/shunt 2 couples of resistors to make 0, -6 and -12 dB gain selection, with the motorized volume rotating magically according to it! Probably for night listening ...
The other portable combo is a Sony ( and it has electronic volume, not good ol' potentiometer )

It reminds me of my souped up Phillips boom box, after I'll improved some caps and added rear terminal clips for external speakers, I found it had a buzz, I guessed from the close proximity of the mains transformer so I added an external power supply ( I used the headphone socket )- after that it sounded lovely with open baffles, possibly it had a NOS DAC. I was given a JVC system, it ran hot but it sounded smooth until the CD became temperamental.

I have two more 1/8” aluminum Top plates coming(Equal to the outer dimensions of the speaker), so with the sorbothane, each baffle will be four layers and 3/4” thick.
You have come up with a very innovative front baffle that could greatly reduce box noise in a practical cost effective way, I'm trying to be patient but the suspense is killing me, any update, please!

Okay, chamfering the back is all I have left, and then I’ll apply the Adhesive sorbothane sheets between each layer. I’ll be finishing it off with black leather on the top plate, somewhat similar the Sonus Faber style.

Attachments

• D4A07437-35F7-4359-AD06-D84ABDC9D2A5.jpg
    D4A07437-35F7-4359-AD06-D84ABDC9D2A5.jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 475
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.