Midrange experiment with Auto sound panel deadener and high density acoustic felt..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These are the blanks I started with.

Attachments

• AA35FF0A-C7A9-4C6B-A518-071AA84D9F08.jpg
    AA35FF0A-C7A9-4C6B-A518-071AA84D9F08.jpg
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 464
In the end, the drivers will be decoupled from the baffle(including the driver mounting bolts), and the constrained layer damped baffle will be decoupled from the cabinet (including the baffle mounting bolts), by using relatively high durometer rubber washers and where the baffle meets the cabinet, sorbothane gaskets.

Last edited:
About twenty five years ago, I went through my audio mad scientist phase. I'm still amazed about what my wife let me get away with in our living room. Eventually she put a stop to it, so now everything I do has to go through the WAF filter. It needs to be aesthetically pleasing or the project is dead in its tracks:nownow:

Last edited:
The mid bass itself has sculpted edges for top mounting, so it will be mounted to the leather on the baffle, which will obviously act as the gasket. I’ll take the 4” midbass as low as distortion measurements will allow. Probably around .5% at 90db/1m

Last edited:
In order to get the high density acoustic felt behind the vertically aligned cabinet brace, I had to cut a large hole in the back of the speaker, which obviously required more 1/4” aluminum Plates as covers to match the fronts.

Attachments

• 6126CA72-48CF-4F55-84CD-D22175191247.jpg
    6126CA72-48CF-4F55-84CD-D22175191247.jpg
    904.7 KB · Views: 348
Chamfering wasn’t perfect, but it’ll work:) lopsided look is just from the camera angle
You did that with woodworking tools? I've worked with leather for 30 years, I'm not sure it's as good as cork but I use hard 1/4 inch thick ( ox hide ) sole leather, softer stuff might be much better, pigs belly wouldn't be to bad. I'll be glad when they're finished and you can give your impressions on how they sound.

You did that with woodworking tools? I've worked with leather for 30 years, I'm not sure it's as good as cork but I use hard 1/4 inch thick ( ox hide ) sole leather, softer stuff might be much better, pigs belly wouldn't be to bad. I'll be glad when they're finished and you can give your impressions on how they sound.

After doing a few experiments with the leather, I decided it would be suboptimal for what I'm trying to achieve with CLD, so sorbothane it will be. I'll still use it on the front though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.