Weird T/S measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ordered a pair of MCM 55-5670 8 inch woofers the other day. They look good on paper and they meet my design criteria. I tried to shoot some measurements with my DATS V3 but I keep getting this little bump at around 800hz. The impedance curve looks right. But the software considers this little bump the Fs and sometimes gives really high Q numbers and sometimes nothing for Q. Twice I've been able to get some realistic numbers. I played music through them for about 6 hours today and then tried measurements again and got the same results. Has anybody had this happen to them? Do I just need to break them in more? Or is there something wrong with these woofers?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
It might be something simple like a spider resonance, eg. nothing you need to do other than be aware of it when designing.

The problem seems to be the intelligence of the measuring software. If you can't get around this you could do it manually.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm very interested in the numbers that you come up with for Qes,Qms,Qts and Vas. I've entered in to Winisd the TS Param for about 80% of the MCM drivers and thinking about buying a pair. A few people on forums stated that for certain models their measured Qts was double the manufacturers specs. Somewhat higher Qts is not unusual but double is a little hard to accept. I like the 7.5mm xmax of 55-5670. Cheers!:)

Last edited:
They look good on paper and they meet my design criteria. I tried to shoot some measurements with my DATS V3 but I keep getting this little bump at around 800hz.

No experience with DATs, but tall, relatively stiff [at least when new], rubber surrounds can create fairly strong eigenmodes with its odd harmonics being peaks = ~13543/3/800 = ~5.64", so is this ~the inside diameter of the surround?

GM

After a healthy dose of nothing but low frequencies, yesterday and again today, I was hoping for some lower numbers. But the woofers measure the same. At least both woofers measure pretty close together in spec. The resonance at 800hz is still there but I've found if I have the driver at a slight angle, I can get a valid measurement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.