Help to choose the ultimate midrange driver

Hello

I just registered here and if im posting this in the wrong category i apologize!

I just started building speakers again after many years!
I like active crossovers very much and i decided to order some things and start to build

I first wanted to make a 2 way + sub system

I ordered as below

a pair of Acoustic elegance TD15M
One Acoustic elegance IB18HT

a pair of B&C de250 drivers with a JBL Horn

The B&C de250 arrived first and i didnt like the sound very much, to harsch and to much in my face
I removed the horns and i think the sound improved, maybe less reflection but still not satisfying.

So i ordered a pair of Beyma tpl200, hope that i will like those.

I put the B&C de250 in another system and i am starting to get along with them so they are not totally excluded from the project.

Now i changed my mind and i will make it a 3 way + sub system

I need good ideas to choose the best midrange driver for my system

I am trying out a pair of Dali Oberion ( bookshelf speakers) as midrange, it gives a soft and nice sound which is what i need

i will try the b&c de250 from 1000 to 2000 hz

My question, what midrange driver would i choose for a smooth, very clear and soft sound? I love separation in the sound and it needs to feel super smooth

Some suggestions as below

Cone drivers
Jantzen Audio JA-8008 HMQ
Acoustic elegance td6m
Acoustic elegance td8m
Scan Speak 18 M 4631 T00 - Revelator

Domes
SB Acoustics MD60N-6
Morel EM 1308 Bass-midwoofer
Accuton C51-6-286 CELL Ceramic
Volt VM752 2" Dome Midrange
Atc sm75-150s
Thankful for all opinions

Best regards Marcus

I would look for bigger midrange drivers with higher sensitivity, preferably as sensitive as the 15” 97dB or so, so that you do not need an LPAD on LF side and by that loose the overall system sensitivity, l-pad only on HF preferably.

When you say active crossovers how many channels are you planning? Are you thinking to have passive crossover on HF and MF, and active on the 15” and 18” needing in total of 2x2 Stereo +1 Sub channels?

"Smoothest" sounding driver of the bunch (listed) is easily the Morel 2". It lacks a bit of subjective detail however when compared to other drivers.

"Consonant" with some of your choices and preferences, I would have gone with:

Tweeter (Dipolar):

Original Great ESS Heil Air Motion Transformer™ I - LARGE
Heil AMT | ESS Laboratories, LLC

Midrange (Dipolar/open-back with enough baffle):

Bohlender Graebener Neo10 Planar Transducer

-it does however require at least a meter or more from the wall behind the speakers (..or some added padding on the wall behind the speakers) due to the rear output of the drivers reflecting off of the rear wall.

This would get you "smooth" and very "detailed". (Crossover between the two around 1.2 kHz with a steep enough filter.)

Last edited:
Hello!

I have 3 channels on my DBX and more one active filter for sub
Behringer UltraDrive DCX2496LE Loudspeaker Management System

I will have 4 x Behringer A-800

I like how they sound

I will avoid passive crossover for so i dont have to think about sensitivity issues.

I know i might have to deal with phase issues later

Hello

I will look inte those drivers
I was checking out the Great Heil alredy and it would look good on top of the speaker.

Also domes would be easy to mount since i buildt the boxes already

The morel might be a good choice from 800 to 2000 hz
My air motion transformers TPL 200 will do a good job over 2khz i think and bring the detail in to the picture

Bohlender Graebener Neo10 Planar Transducer seems to be a nice choice also, i never listened to dipoles.
My preferences might be a little more isolated rather than open sounding but i think i need to go and listen to something like this

the 6.5 driver thay i am testing in my bookshelf speakers sound really good,

My thoughts on crossovers which is flexile is

ae ib18ht below 50hz

ae1d15m 50 - 800hz
midrange 800-2000hz
Beyma tpl 200. 2000hz and up

What is your opinion on crossover for the td15m?

Best regards Marcus

Generally you want your midbass driver to coincide with Baffle-step loss, which depends on the size of the cabinet, which for a 15" driver would be as high in freq. as about 300 Hz. (..at this freq. there is also the potential synergy with reducing floor-bounce artifacts in the mid. field depending on driver placements relative to the floor and the listener distance from the loudspeaker.)

Home of the Edge

I think Dan talked about using the Neo 10 a little higher than that (but not much). Any pure midrange is going to require a steep high-pass filter to accommodate this and still maintain adequate spl.

Last edited:
Hello

Now we have some interesting suggestions here.

Looking at the drivers that i purchased already they would have made it almost for a 2 way system

I feel i want to use the potential of the 15" driver and cross it closet to 1000 Hz but i might be wrong

For a lower cross i would have choosen aetd15s

This is speaking for a midrange some and i heard lots of Good Words about them

If i use a 6.5" cone i can fit it in the box and use My sur motion transformer on top of the speaker with or without back cap. That would also be nice

The room is 30sqm

The boxes is 120cm tall

Thank you, i am trying the lr filter right now

The crossover is flexible
I just unboxed My tweeters beyma tpl200, they have tremendous detail.

Changed the crossover to 2000 hz

Very happy with them

Wow, they are intense! :D
Because the LR sums flat you can link bands (and stereo) and slide the freq point to change the tonality of the system and avoid hardness.

Attachments

• dcx-2.jpg
    dcx-2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 622
Hello again

The crossover frequency can be changed in both ends to anything so i will have to analyze the frequency response and tune it very carefully.

If i had a real DSP i could connect a mic to and it would make a curve perfectly flat

Now the next problem comes in, phase
If Some channel is out of phase the overlap why the crossover frequencies Will cancel each other

I plan to try to analyze this and corrected with delay function

At least i think so, i never did this before

i was thinking that i have might ordered unnecessary expensive things but when the tweeters arrived i thought it was all worth it so far.

I will try and remove the back cap tonight

Now the midrange must match:)
Super soft and super clear