Heat Sensitivity While Soldering Capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For the first time in my life I’m building a crossover with pretty expensive capacitors. To keep them close, I plan to solder 1 leg close to where the axial lead comes out of the next. Is there any danger in getting it too hot? This is poly film cap. Just for knowledge, how do other types of caps handle heat from soldering as well?

Normally I don’t worry about it and everything is fine but just want to take extra care here....

Joined 2011
Not a good idea to solder close to the body of a film capacitor, that will likely do internal damage.
There's no point to minimize lead length in a crossover. The lead parasitics are truly negligible (<10nH/cm),
and strain relief is also important. In any event, with expensive, sensitive parts use a heat sink clamp
on the leads during soldering.
Clip On Heat Sink | HT-156

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Also be very careful with not accidentally touching the outside of a film cap body with the hot iron. I was clumsy and tried to solder another part too close to the body of a 36uF 250v MKP. The iron touched the outside and melted maybe 1/4in deep gash into the 50 or so film layers. Shorted the cap out and I learned an expensive lesson. At least it was not a boutique cap.

My expensive boutique film caps come in a thick paper cardboard (Miflex)shell or PVC tube (Clarity) which gives them some more protection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.