Has anyone here heard the AirBlade Transducer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hmm that article was 2 years ago. The website shows 3 products. the speaker, a damping foot and a cable. Their contact address is a forwarding company in covent garden.

All of which suggests they haven't actually made a producable transducer.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It’s not vaporware. There are photos of hardware and a patent. Not that you can’t have a “paper” patent. But obviously there is hardware and it’s been demo’d at trade shows. I would like to hear it. I would think it sounds a lot like an AMT in transparency but with more ability to pressurize the air column of mounted on a horn. In my tests with an AMT in a horn, there is improved directionality, but never the 10dB gain you normally get from a pistonic dynamic driver in a horn. The pleated folds “squeezing” air seems to have a hard time coupling efficiently into a waveguide.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/6c/21/47/a6853d8aa12f9f/US9124964.pdf

I would think it sounds a lot like an AMT in transparency but with more ability to pressurize the air column of mounted on a horn.
I don't think those copper coloured parts of the pole pieces act as impedance matching devices if that is what you meant? I think they are just working as phase shields - the surface area of the diaphragm is large and if all of it was directly exposed from a single listening angle you'd get nulls in the high frequency response due to path length differences.

Using the back wave is probably also a disaster at high frequency.

edit: Also surprised Dyson hasn't sued Arya yet for the trade name.

Last edited:
I have heard them. The environment wasn't ideal, Pro light and Sound Frankfurt. Also the implementation as explained to me sounded questionable. IIRC something about first order crossover and much lower than I would have expected.

Last edited:
1/2 Elac + ESS = AirBlade

to put it in audio terms ... ;)

Attachments

• AirBlade_equation.jpg
    AirBlade_equation.jpg
    876 KB · Views: 153
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.