Basement Soundsystem - Guidance Needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@DeLander, thanks but I don't think the Devastator is what I'm looking for. I don't have that much floor space to spare and don't need that much depth to the response.

@Kipman - tons of good stuff, thank you. And don't worry, I was drooling over your photos earlier. Actually I had been toying with the wood grill idea; to please my better half these cabinets need to be visually appealing so I'm leaning towards either a 1930's radio type look or something that resembles an Art Deco hotel facade.

I checked the Wikipedia page on 'minimum phase'... woof, not going to climb that mountain today. For now I'll trust you and Chris.

The lack of motor strength makes sense. Does it hold that building a box big enough for the PA460 today won't hold me back if I do upgrade drivers in the future? I probably won't have the funds (or, frankly, the need) for the bigger drivers for a while but would love to future-proof this from the start.

Time to dust off Hornresp...

There are several different enclosure designs for the V.B.S.S.

It's just a basic ported enclosure. Just so you keep the same internal volume, you can play with different port lengths for different tuning frequencies.

Lots of people drive up to 8 of these with a Behringer 3000DSP amp. That gives you plenty of power and tuning capabilities.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Speaker City sells speakers, drivers, audiophile loud: McCauley

I have read that McCauley woofers and sub woofers can go really low, loud and can take tons of power all night long, even at 20 Hz. I don't have experience with these at all and they are VERY pricey for sure. Just passing it along...

If you want serious bass below 40 Hz; take your time to explore the driver and box options; many variables, many choices, many price ranges for sure.

Hi all - finally have made some progress! Looking for some additional help. Here's where we're at: I went with two close approximations of the VBSS (taller and shallower), slot ported, tuned to about 31 hz. They sound great! But I'm having issues with a lack of clarity that I'm attributing to the room and/or my speaker placement.

Attached is a diagram of the current setup. Speaker placement is brown. The bass cabinets are on the floor, the tops are mounted on the ceiling suspended about 3-4" (from 8') and fairly tight against soffit corners. The mains themselves are a DE250 on a small horn with an 8" midrange woofer in a compact sealed box - i.e. there is very little baffle to speak of.

Room itself is drywall with carpet, minimal furniture outside of a wood/metal desk and a wood turntable platform. There are windows (indicated) set high on the walls, they measure 83" x 23". I know these need to be covered, working on it.

Here are my issues:

1. Lack of midrange clarity: I was pretty happy with my mains when listening outside, but now mounted on the ceiling there is a noticeable lack of definition when standing more than 4' away from them. I am guessing it's a reflection issue due to being so tight into the corners, but don't know the best or cheapest way to resolve it. I can lower the cabinets off the ceiling a bit, or I could put some kind of treatment around the corners to mitigate reflections. Which is more likely to restore the clarity? Is there something else I'm missing? What about a bolt-on DIY waveguide?

2. Hot and cold bass spots in the room (colored red and blue). Obviously this is waves doing their thing, but I don't know how to go about spreading the response more evenly. There are hot and cold spots everywhere, I've only colored the most pronounced. I plan to try a less symmetrical bass cabinet placement as a first step, but if there are any obvious mistakes I'm making, please call me out!

I mentioned this earlier but this is intended to be a dance floor, not just a single listening position... that said it would be nice if the sound was best right in the middle!

Finished just in time for Chicago to start to shut down again. Will post pics when we get the beasts painted and the lights hung. :)

Attachments

• Basement Layout.jpg
    Basement Layout.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.