Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Recommendation for a good mid range driver for vocal
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2020, 01:17 PM   #11
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

OK that rules that out then Always good to check.

I know what you mean about getting the right midrange. I tried many drivers in my three ways over the years. I didn't know what I know now, and most were cheap, just what was available from the local electronics shop. By far the best were Philips Dome midranges.

I've never heard them, but I've always though that the morel MDM55's would be worth a try. I'm actually very happy with the vocals with my Morel MW144's, but I've not heard any of the newer drivers that replace those.

I also found the SB accoustics 4" midrange driver very good. I've considered doing a three way with that. But you could spend a lot of money trying different drivers trying to find the sound that you like. The driver is only part of the equation. The crossover and how well the drivers integrate with each other can make the difference between chalk and cheese.

Tony.
Old 13th September 2020, 11:37 PM   #12
JamesTan is offline JamesTan
diyAudio Member

Hi Tony, thanks for your help and suggestion thus far and I really appreciate it. I have done some online research for a good mid range driver and the MDM55 does come into my radar. But it seems there is a mix feeling with regards to Morel drivers in general.

There are another 2 drivers that caught my attention, the SB Acoustic SB12MNRX25-4 and the Scanspeak Discovery 10F/4424G. Both drivers looks good on spec but not too sure with the actual sounding, whether are they good in reproducing realist, warm and forward sounding vocal. Hope to hear comments from members here who have experience with these drivers or any other good suggestion is welcome too.

Btw Tony, I saw your photos from your link, noticed you came over to Singapore in 2017 and I hope you had enjoyed your time here . And it seems we enjoy the same hobby too, I am using a Fujifilm X-T3 and it looks like you are using a Nikon D750.
Old 14th September 2020, 12:59 AM   #13
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

The 10F is a fantastic little mid. I've used it in a couple of builds and it never disappointed.
Old 14th September 2020, 03:21 AM   #14
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

The SB12MNRX25-4 is what I bought to make computer speakers for my Daughter, as an experiment to get an idea what they may be like used in their intended way. SB acoustics SB12MNRX25-4 "full range" Build thread

I'm not good with subjectively describing things, but I was very happy with how these sound. Note I think SB have discontinued this version, and have a newer driver as it's replacement.

I really enjoyed my trip to Singapore I was there again (stopover) in 2019 as well. Yes my current camera is a Nikon D750.

Do you have a decent set of headphones? I could make a recording of the little SB drivers playing, maybe some Ella and Louis. It will have the room of course and the rest of my electronics, and they aren't really designed to run full range so that needs to be considered, but might give you an idea as to how they sound. I'd have to use my HTPC motherboard sound, as my pre-amp is also my active crossover, and I would have no way of controlling volume otherwise.

Please do bear in mind what I said about the crossover too. My MTM's sounded ok, until I decided to re-do the crossover, after I did the change was not subtle, even though the crossover frequency didn't change. What was missing with the previous version of the crossover, was there with the new one. The frequency response looked very similar, but the driver integration was much better in the revised one.

Tony.
Old 14th September 2020, 03:55 AM   #15
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

FWIW I've been impressed with the Morel midrange domes. A very natural and slightly forward midrage with good body. Of course a lot of that depends on the crossover.
Old 14th September 2020, 04:15 AM   #16
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTan View Post
It's just that I am going after that warmer and more forward sounding vocal.
Boost the ~60-250 Hz BW for 'fatter'/'warmer' and the ~4-6 kHz 'clarity'/'definition' BW to bring it forward, so adding a 'mids' driver ideally requires a more efficient one with a ~60-6 kHz BW and based on some other criteria the pioneers worked out, ideally needs to be a 3 way [tri-ax] 8" with HF extended to 11+ kHz.

If boosting increases distortion, lack of clarity/whatever, then need to rethink the design from scratch IME.

GM
Old 14th September 2020, 04:59 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the suggestion and I really appreciate it.

@Tony - It would be great if I can hear how the SB sounds like. I do not have headphones but if it is a music file, I can download it and listen with my stereo.

@Pano - It is great to hear you have good experience with the Morel midrange domes, any model in particular? Natural and slightly forward midrange is what I am looking for .

@GM - Point taken

Last edited by JamesTan; 14th September 2020 at 05:03 AM.
Old 14th September 2020, 07:05 AM   #18
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
FWIW I've been impressed with the Morel midrange domes.
Which one[s] in particular?

TIA,

GM
Old 14th September 2020, 08:51 AM   #19
nfsgame is offline nfsgame
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTan View Post
I am hoping adding a reasonably good mid range driver can help to achieve that.
Not as long as you rely on wrong advertisement-graphs...
Old 14th September 2020, 10:07 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi nfsgame, I appreciate your commends but I have already mentioned that I am only a first time DIY builder and not ready to invest heavily into all the equipment yet. I am quite certain not every experience DIY builder here started their first project with all the equipment ready by their side.

So far I am pretty happy with what I am getting from my current setup and I am trying to push for that extra miles with the vocal region. I am hoping experience builders here can point me in the direction of a good vocal midrange driver for me to try out. If the end result does not turn out good, I will have to live with what I have or I might start buying equipment and turn this into a more serious hobby. If you can give me some suggestion of a good midrange driver for vocal, I would really appreciate that .

Last edited by JamesTan; 14th September 2020 at 10:10 AM.

Recommendation for a good mid range driver for vocalHide this!Advertise here!