Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Slotted port vs round?
Slotted port vs round?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th September 2020, 02:45 PM   #1
audio39 is offline audio39  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Slotted port vs round?

Over the last few years I've built a number of speakers, all have used a round port because most of the info I've found to date suggests that round is better. I'm starting a new project and have an itch to build my own rectangular port...but will I be disappointed?

Any feedback will be most appreciated.
Old 4th September 2020, 04:53 PM   #2
pkitt is offline pkitt  United States
diyAudio Member

No, as long as the port's aspect ratio is not overly large which could cause "noise" because of the large "circumference" from a really narrow slot. Some people recommend an aspect ratio not exceeding 5:1 or so, but that may be unnecessarily restrictive. The peak air velocity in a port, which is the primary source of chuffing or noise, depends on the port's area, but as a port moves from round, to square to being a slot, all with the same area, the port's circumference becomes larger and larger, presenting more and more of an edge to cause turbulence. Others may disagree but I'm currently listening to my latest build which has twin slot ports, each 1" x 2", which has no discernible port-related issues.
Paul
Old 4th September 2020, 05:04 PM   #3
tmuikku is online now tmuikku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tmuikku
You should build quick and dirty prototype box with both ports and test it out! If there is a difference, you are able to choose the better one and can then move on to worry some other compromise. Have fun!
Old 4th September 2020, 05:24 PM   #4
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

A slotted port is different to a rectangular port. Which one are you considering, as your post mentions both?
Old 4th September 2020, 05:33 PM   #5
pkitt is offline pkitt  United States
diyAudio Member

For clarification, when I said slotted or slot port, I really meant a rectangular port.
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkitt View Post
No, as long as the port's aspect ratio is not overly large which could cause "noise" because of the large "circumference" from a really narrow slot. Some people recommend an aspect ratio not exceeding 5:1 or so, but that may be unnecessarily restrictive. The peak air velocity in a port, which is the primary source of chuffing or noise, depends on the port's area, but as a port moves from round, to square to being a slot, all with the same area, the port's circumference becomes larger and larger, presenting more and more of an edge to cause turbulence. Others may disagree but I'm currently listening to my latest build which has twin slot ports, each 1" x 2", which has no discernible port-related issues.
Paul
Old 4th September 2020, 05:57 PM   #6
YSDR is offline YSDR  Hungary
diyAudio Member

You can divide a slot port to get more smaller rectangular or square ports.
Old 4th September 2020, 06:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm considering a rectangular port, the dimensions at present are 1.5" x 8" x 10.25" deep. This dimension theoretically will deliver 30 cycles.
Old 4th September 2020, 06:21 PM   #8
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

funny i should come across this thread as i was just recently discussing this very thing with an old guitar player buddy of mine.
the Theile 12 guitar cab with slot port, originally designed for an EVM 12 L and i was wondering if i could find the original plans....then he sends me a link to this 1x12 Front Ported Thiele Guitar Amplifier Cabinet | MESA/Boogie(R)
Old 16th September 2020, 09:30 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ok, I've decided to go with the slotted port. When calculating the internal speaker volume do you factor the internal area used by the port and add that?
Old 16th September 2020, 09:47 PM   #10
Indigent Audio is offline Indigent Audio
diyAudio Member

The BEST Port Video EVER - YouTube

I have built both, unless you have a space restriction necessitating a square port I would stick with a round port, audio results are (sometimes) better with less issues. Slot ratio (H to W) is also important if your going with a rectangular port.

Slotted port vs round?Hide this!Advertise here!