Eminence Beta 12CX/ASD1001 coaxial upgrade modification options?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is the story of JBL and Selenium btw? The webshop state Selenium but the sticker on the CD makes no mistake its JBL. Is Selenium brand phasing out?

Harmon Int'l. owns lots of 'families' of brands with Selenium in JBL's. I wouldn't think so since it's better to capitalize on a brand's reputation when good plus haven't noticed it happening to the few other brands I'm familiar with.

GM

....will the 12” work in nearfield use? Is the power response for the 12” better then for the 10 or the 8 inch driver?

Depends on your performance goals.

FWIW, the pioneers used power division, XO point/slope to determine driver size, winding up with the world's most used/mimic'd duplex [coax] for near-field [< 4 ft in USA at the time] studio monitoring/mastering to date, so based on size alone even a 15" isn't too large and if a true 'full range' coax were available it would in theory need a ~43.1" effective diameter, so what, a 45" frame? ;)

A [very] crude two way realization of a near-field monitoring stereo system: https://www.hifisentralen.no/forume...11194205608_1917192916316430973_n-jpg.325401/

GM

Depends on your performance goals.

FWIW, the pioneers used power division, XO point/slope to determine driver size, winding up with the world's most used/mimic'd duplex [coax] for near-field [< 4 ft in USA at the time] studio monitoring/mastering to date, so based on size alone even a 15" isn't too large and if a true 'full range' coax were available it would in theory need a ~43.1" effective diameter, so what, a 45" frame? ;)

from what i have read many seems to favour the 10" coax, but the few measurements i have seen for these drivers the 12" coax looks slightly better and should also work good in a near field setup :)

A [very] crude two way realization of a near-field monitoring stereo system: https://www.hifisentralen.no/forume...11194205608_1917192916316430973_n-jpg.325401/

GM

to me this looks quite cool but also very messy with lots of lobing issues, the listening must have been a nightmare. but that might not be a problem if the crossover is set very low? but still, is it wise to place the tweeters that high up way above the head?

Where? You're well inside both horn's near-field ['envelope']. Right, 300 Hz horns, 500 Hz/2nd order.

As for listening; my first set of Altec horns were the 500 Hz horn version in a 10 x 10 ft bedroom and due to furniture had basically the same spacing setup with just a stereo pair and mine and others main gripe was even new vinyl had so much noise when played through such an efficient system that fatigue quickly set in at such a close listening distance.

GM

from what i have read many seems to favour the 10" coax, but the few measurements i have seen for these drivers the 12" coax looks slightly better and should also work good in a near field setup :)

Not surprised, the 1001's 2.5 kHz min. XO is too high for a really good blending to the 12" woofer even though both are pistonic to the VC's diameter = ~13543/pi/2" = ~2155 Hz, so ideally need a driver good down to ~800 Hz for a ~1128 Hz XO and for that matter, a ~950 Hz/1350 Hz for the 10", both with custom acoustic XOs.

GM

Where? You're well inside both horn's near-field ['envelope']. Right, 300 Hz horns, 500 Hz/2nd order.

i thought the large driver spacing and the close listening spot would be problematic, if one moves a bit and leans to the side to reach a knob this could cause tonal changes due to lobings, but this might not be a problem with such a low crossover?

As for listening; my first set of Altec horns were the 500 Hz horn version in a 10 x 10 ft bedroom and due to furniture had basically the same spacing setup with just a stereo pair and mine and others main gripe was even new vinyl had so much noise when played through such an efficient system that fatigue quickly set in at such a close listening distance.

GM

oh, i have not realised that this could be a problem, hmm.. :eek:

So today the PSD2002 arrived. My god its even bigger and heavier than the Selenium, not sure my 18mm pine baffle can take it. Or if the B12CX steel frame can? Seems total overkill lol. Before I start assembly and testing I think I need to strengthen the baffle with another 18mm. Will keep up all updated on this fun but expensive experiment.

Is there even horns available for this kinda of gravital force?

So i have been playing around with these new CDs and crossovers for a week now and Im very confused. All the CDs suddently have a resonance at 2,6kHz. It does not matter if they play directly without a crossover unmounted on the desk, or mounted in the coax drivers, with or without the 1k6 filter. I know that the B12CX have a small peak in this area but I dont really hear that from the bass driver alone, filter or not. Is it something wrong with my ears, or something very wrong with all the CDs all of a sudden? I need to buy some measuring equipment before going further into this. Still, things sound "best" to me with the PSD2002 and the existing 2k5cx filter for now but I realize I need to start building my own crossovers from scratch to get the results I want however not without measurement equipment. I will use the Selenium in 10cx in my next project.

Some random pics attached. I find it nice that the PSD2002 and Beta12CX magnets are the same. A match made in heaven?

Attachments

• IMG_1867 small.JPG
    IMG_1867 small.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 2,021
  • IMG_1876 small.JPG
    IMG_1876 small.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_1879 small.JPG
    IMG_1879 small.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_1882 small.JPG
    IMG_1882 small.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1875 small.JPG
    IMG_1875 small.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1866 small.JPG
    IMG_1866 small.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_1861 small.JPG
    IMG_1861 small.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
ASD1K Raw

Cannot comment on your findings related to other CDs. The ASD1K1 has very non flat response. BUT easily treated by first order xover up high.
ASD has also healthy impedance rise at resonance that needs to be considered (eliminated with conjugate) when using passive xover.
Note that the impedance rise below 300 Hz is due to blocking cap used for measurement to protect driver, not driver.
Simple is electrical first order applied to beta8 and asd with conjugate on asd.
When asd is treated as described, it sounds very very good in my opinion.

Attachments

• BETA8S3RAW.JPG
    BETA8S3RAW.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 157
  • BETA8S3TWEETERZ.JPG
    BETA8S3TWEETERZ.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 110
  • BETA8S3SIMPLE.JPG
    BETA8S3SIMPLE.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 100
Interesting. It’s clear to me now that the eminence preassembled crossovers are made with driver protection in focus first, smooth sound second, as it seems obvious that PA systems always have digital parametric equalizer possibilities in preamp to flatten the peaks from both the speaker and the location. I definitely need to get some measuring tools and start with more complex crossovers to get what I want here, I am sure I have plenty of flexibility in these drivers to achieve what I want.

I got inspired by the finnish diy project and bought a pair of 12cx and apt50, now i must build some very large boxes. I clamped a driver in my impedance test setup and runned some dirty frequency response measurements, and the result: this is actually not so bad :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.