The CUBE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The CUBE - made from Beech wood glulam...

06-000792_1.jpg

NBLlKb-C1.jpg

zELlKb-C2.jpg

vELlKb-C3.jpg

5ELlKb-C4.jpg

kFLlKb-C5.jpg

nFLlKb-C6.jpg

xFLlKb-C7.jpg

Wait and See... ;)

A+!

Last edited:
Thanks ! :)

Edges radiused at R=12mm :

MTwmKb-C13.jpg

This is a pair of small 2-Way bookshelf enclosures, using a 1/2" AUDAX TW51A tweeter and a 4" ELTAX S106 or MONACOR SP-100/8 woofer.

The dimensions are 200x200x200mm, hence the name "The CUBE". ;)
Beech wood glulam 18mm thick for the cabinet.
Plywood 10mm thick for the vents walls.

Principle : laminar decompression + full cotton wool stuffing matress.

-tbln

Woofer break-in operation :
- on variable break-in / Xmax inspection generator (left)
- on 50Hz break-in generator (right)

Fs values decreased from 88 and 92Hz as is, to 80 and 81Hz once broken-in.

8JUoKb-P1100724.jpg

Those Eltax 4" are neat looking but the Monacor SP-100/8 should show a lower Fs at 60Hz. By he way, I'll make a complete T/S parameter mesurement for each.

dOUoKb-P1100735.jpg

So wait and See... ;)

A+!

Thanks @kd1yt ! :)

The cabinets are ready for tests - finishing will come later :

X71rKb-lekesss-13-09-2020.jpg

I have the choice between two speakers :

C71rKb-lespikerzzz-13-09-2020.jpg

The ELTAX S-106/8 is nicer, but the Monacor SP-100/8 has probably better performances, so I went for the Monacor...

Next step : stuffing, insatlling speakers, crossover tests...

t91rKb-P1100765.jpg

I'll start with a 12dB/oct 2nd order L-R or Bessel type, @4KHz, adjustable constant Z L-pad for the tweeter.

I'll also do a test with a 6dB/oct 1st order, as the speakers are very close and small, in order to see if it can work (I'm skeptical, though... :confused:)

Yes : in that micro-Onken/Jensen style, a French company named AdeLine offered the model A323 in the early 80s, a bit bigger than mine, with a larger dual-coil 5" woofer :

images

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Wait and See... ;)

A+!

@xrk971 :

Yes : it was intended to be a laminar decompression "as aperiodic as possible" cabinet, hence the important stuffing quantity vs the volume (3L neat, stuffed circa 70-75%).

With that, I measured 1st resonance at 50Hz and 2nd resonance at 110Hz. So it's rather a "wannabee aperiodic damped bass-reflex"...

The bass level is not so bad for the very small size, and is most of all regular without muddiness, enhnaced by a bookshelf / corner placement.

That said, what you suggest is to be experimented... ;)

A+!

i like the guitar type "tone " control for the tweeter level knob! and the "fan" grills!

Thanks @turk 182 ! ;)

Well, it's a provisional back plate, for the setup/tuning of the X-over...

I'm now instant A/B comparing in mono a simple 4KHz 1st order Butterworth (one speaker) with a 4KHz 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley plus Zobel network (the other speaker) : very different tonal behavior between the two... :confused:

And yes : the fan grids is a simple rather and unseen way to protect speakers - it's not the 1st time I use this "trick" :D

30osKb-FAN-GRID-SPEAKERS-15-09-2020.jpg

A+!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.