Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Default DIY speakers that impressed you compared to production speakers ?
Default DIY speakers that impressed you compared to production speakers ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2020, 02:15 AM   #1
wanderer47 is offline wanderer47
diyAudio Member

Default Default DIY speakers that impressed you compared to production speakers ?

What were DIY speaker builds that you made that you compared to production speakers and were impressed with how well the sound stood up to the production speaker?
Old 11th August 2020, 03:15 AM   #2
Forane12 is offline Forane12  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Hi,
You just asked the million dollar question

I was addicted to speakerbuilding for many years and I tried to use both the best drivers and components and try as many design concepts as possible-open baffle, full range, passive, active, 2-,3,-4-way,Duelund style crossovers, magnetostatic, you name it. 25 years of experiments before I realized it was the speaker plus the room and some of my "failures" at home sounded magnificent in other places.

But if I were to go back I would build the ZD5 by Zaphauudio and the LX mini by SL(RIP), those two can compete with any of the high end designs up to 5K on the market for not much money. A lot of money if you want them to look good. This is what makes the big difference.

If I were to try now - I would build the Purifi 2-way. Actually I would start with whatever xrk971 says he likes best The way he does things and the way he puts his into words makes me feel his designs are what I would invest in first.

Just my very humble opinion.
Old 11th August 2020, 09:40 AM   #3
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

Active crossover driven speakers are hard to beat in many ways, and they are not really available as commercial speakers except small studio monitors.
Old 11th August 2020, 01:57 PM   #4
wolf_teeth is offline wolf_teeth  United States
diyAudio Member

Many have said my Nephila held their own, and a few stated they'd be in the 15k commercial sector cost wise.
My Attitudes design was touted highly, mids are NLA, and was also compared to being on par with Wilson Sophia's.

I'm sure other designers can claim similar responses.
Wolf
Old 11th August 2020, 08:10 PM   #5
wanderer47 is offline wanderer47
diyAudio Member

What would you guys say is the best DIY kit value wise in terms of competing with commercial offerings?

Nephila looks good: Nephila | Parts Express Project Gallery
Old 11th August 2020, 08:45 PM   #6
hdspeakerman is offline hdspeakerman  United States
diyAudio Member

Try something with a crossover by Jeff Bagby.
Old 11th August 2020, 11:01 PM   #7
ILikeFoodz is offline ILikeFoodz  United States
diyAudio Member

I built a pair of 2-way bookshelves with sb15nac and sb26stac ported, 2nd order XO. For some applications I prefer them to my Paradigm Prestige 85F - particularly acoustic guitar and other less complex music. They start to sound less clean and a bit muddled with higher complexity music (lots of metal for example). I suspect that's due to more intermodulation distortion with the higher complexity music.

Considering they cost a few hundred to build compared with the $4k of the Paradigms, I'd call that a great success.
Old 11th August 2020, 11:15 PM   #8
wolf_teeth is offline wolf_teeth  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdspeakerman View Post
Try something with a crossover by Jeff Bagby.
If you'll look, Jeff actually approved of my Nephila in a post on PETT. My stuff is not all bad by comparison as you have made it sound by your posted opinion.

The Nephila actually had the highest score in all 4 categories at MWAF in 2015.

Here's Jeff's post:
Heard an Excellent Speaker Yesterday -

Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Best regards,
Wolf
Old 12th August 2020, 12:21 AM   #9
hifijim is offline hifijim  United States
diyAudio Member

A competently designed and built DIY speaker will compare favorably to a commercially produced speaker, but at what price point?

15 to 20 years ago, most high-end speakers used off-the-shelf drivers. I could look at a ProAc, Monitor Audio, PSB, Snell, or Thiel and easilly identify the drivers as Seas, ScanSpeak, Vifa, Focal, Dynaudio, Audax, etc. So it was easy to compare the cost of the drivers with the retail cost of the speaker.

The ratio was almost always between 5 and 10 times the cost of the drivers. Complex cabinets drove the ratio up, sophisticated cabinet finishes (high-gloss rosewood veneer, etc) drove the ratio up. Speakers made in the UK or Europe had a higher ratio than ones made in the US, and Canadian built speakers had a lower ratio... Some speakers had such elaborate cabinet construction that the ratio was very high... Wilson and Dunlavy (Duntech) come to mind... But those were the exception.

It is harder to do such comparisons now. Speaker manufacturers now specify enough cosmetic changes to their drivers that it is harder to identify them. And driver makers are more willing to make special runs of drivers for manufacturers.

But where we can identify drivers, the ratio is still valid. Speakers built in China are closer to a ratio of 5... Speakers built in the US, Canada, or Europe are closer to 10.

So how much does a cabinet cost to build ?... If you are KEF or Harmon I do not know. If you are a small operation that builds 30 pairs of speakers a month, I think I can guess. There is also packaging and shipping costs. Distributor and retailer markups.

When I look at a really well done commercial speaker like the Revel Performa F228Be, I see about $1200 to $1400 worth of drivers, and the speaker sells for about $10,000... A ratio of 7 or 8. I also see a very well done cabinet, one that would take me many hours of labor to duplicate... and a crossover integration that is first rate. If I had to build an equivalent speaker, and sell it for a profit... I doubt I could sell it for $10k. I would be working for less than minimum wage...

So the point is... if you build a well regarded kit, your speakers will compare to commercial ones priced at 5x to 10x the cost of the drivers... if you do a great job on your cabinet (structurally, sonically, and aestheticly), your price ratio will be closer to 10x.

The same is true if you design your own, but only if you invest in the effort to learn the art and science of speaker design, and go through the learning curve of building some mistakes along the way.
Old 12th August 2020, 01:01 AM   #10
nigelwright7557 is online now nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

i remember my first speaker design well.
it was for a mobile disco.
the amp i chose was 225wrms so bought 4 Fane 12"-50wrms drivers.
i started off with a 4 by 12 box but quickly realised it wouldnt fit in the car so split into 2 off 2 by 12. the speakers were only 3khZ bandwidth but sounded good.
the boxes were about 2' 6" by 16" by 10" and worked more by luck than judgement.
the setup could be incredibly loud.

Default DIY speakers that impressed you compared to production speakers ?Hide this!Advertise here!