Default DIY speakers that impressed you compared to production speakers ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What were DIY speaker builds that you made that you compared to production speakers and were impressed with how well the sound stood up to the production speaker?

It was the very first build that I have ever made that made me confident to pursue this DIY thing. The problem with cheap loudspeakers of that past era was that these were poorly voiced because manufacturer had other plans with higher end models, so it was not such a surprise that my diy-ed loudspeakers appeared very good in comparison to those not being so. :snoopy:

Actually, I think they were Jeff's inspiration to the Spirit Wind. Three or four years ago, I sent Jeff the drivers and my cabinet (not truncated like the Spirit Wind) so he could design the crossover. We were both very pleased with the result. I've got my speakers paired with 2-12" Dayton subs powered by 300 watt BASH amps. Every time I crank it up I'm thanking Jeff for his expertise. If you have an opportunity to hear the Spirit Winds, go for it. I think you'll like 'em. I know mine aren't going anywhere.

Commercial products are about current trends and consumer desires, Hi-End speaker companies will design, produce and take advantage accordingly. With DIY, anything and everything is on the table!

AND lets not be Pollyannish about it: Serious probability for a bad result.
I submit that are hundreds of diy speakers that end up being Crap.. for every couple or so that prove Good.
Real life ;)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Serious probability for a bad result.

Speak for yourself, ALL of my speakers are great! :)

If one looks for projects that have been replicated by others and described as good, and is well documented with data and lots of thread views, generally, they are not going to be “bad” if well executed. Many times, they will be superior to most stuff you can buy for the same price because of the typical 5x markup from materials cost for manufactured speakers.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that all xrk971 speakers sound great. :)

Anyway, commercial speakers are not that costly in reality, because you can sell them easily and won't lose too much money as long as the speakers are fairly priced. I once sold my 30 yeas old JBL monitors for much more than what I paid for. Consider they are the stock that also can play music. :D

Joe, you have done an amazing job here. Philosophy/design/weight (with speakers and gear has to be close to 1k lbs per channel?) are spot on, as is the 100:1 subwoofer power ratio. You have also covered your tracks well, with the rare, exotic, discontinued nature of the horn section you are not likely to be followed.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.