Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Compression Driver as Midrange Dome?
Compression Driver as Midrange Dome?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2020, 06:51 PM   #11
hweb is offline hweb
diyAudio Member

I had a set of those Dynaudio dome mids in my 2008 Volvo (part of the premium audio package). I have to say that it was one of the best car audio systems I've ever heard. Better than my current Lexus premium audio system (with an aftermarket sub added). I have often thought about buying a set of those "Volvo" mids to make a home speaker around.
Old 1st August 2020, 12:25 PM   #12
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Pricey things to play with if not sure about the performance
Old 1st August 2020, 12:48 PM   #13
TMM is offline TMM  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to TMM
As others have said, xmax of compression drivers is too low to be useful without a horn. This will limit how low you can cross it without bulk distortion, and is also what makes or breaks a hornless dome midrange. The whole point of a hornless dome midrange is excellent polar response. If you have a 2-3" dome that has a faceplate that is 5-7", you need to crossover to the tweeter at a lower frequency than the measurements suggest the dome mid is capable of, otherwise the polar response of the system as a whole will be terrible due to the CTC spacing. If it can't cross to the woofer at a low enough frequency, the bandwidth you use the dome over will become so narrow that you will ask yourself why you even bothered with it and didn't just design a system with 1 less 'way'.

The TangBand 75-1558SE and ATC SM75-150S are the best dome midranges I've seen data for. Sadly both discontinued. The Volt driver is vastly inferior to the ATC from what I've seen, despite looking similar. The TB and ATC can't really be directly compared, they are different beasts. The ATC faceplate is HUGE which requires you to cross much lower than the TB, but that is no problem as the ATC low end is far cleaner allowing it to still cover a decent range and pair with a decently large woofer. The TB is cleaner in the higher freq, which can be taken advantage of since the faceplate is so much smaller - it's more suited to a smaller woofer and tweeter.

The Dayton RS52AN-8 (not RS52FN-8) is another decent performer which deserves mentioning and while it needs to operate over a narrower bandwidth than the 3" drivers, it still works very well to bridge the gap between a 6.5" woofer and 1" tweeter.

ScanSpeak / Vifa D75MX is old tech unfortunately. Overhung motor and not enough xmax gives disappointing performance compared to newer drivers with 1mm+ underhung.

Last edited by TMM; 1st August 2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old 1st August 2020, 01:24 PM   #14
afa is offline afa  Australia
diyAudio Member

It looks like JBL used the idea in this range of speakers

1989 XPL SERIES
http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...cade/page1.jpg
  Reply to this post

Compression Driver as Midrange Dome?Hide this!Advertise here!