MR13P vs MR16P distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After a lot of research and head scratching, I finally decided on the Satori MR13P for my home theatre 3-way LCR speakers. I'm currently really bothered by the high distortion levels of my of my 2380 horn, so want to be absolutely sure that my new speakers will not have this problem. I find distortion in the vocal range very audible.

I came over some distortion measurements of the MR13P, and comparing it to MR16P measurements from the same source, it looks like the MR13P has some excessive distortion at around 1.4Khz. 2% at only 92db/1m.

Is the MR16P a better driver for 350-2500Hz operation as indicated by the measurements? I would prefer the dispersion from the smaller driver, but low distortion is a higher priority.

SB Acoustics Satori MR13P-4. A New Home Audio 5.25” Midrange Driver | audioXpress

The MR16P-4 6.5” Satori Midrange from SB Acoustics | audioXpress

I've build speakers with the MR13/16, own a few Satori speaker kits and also a pair of JBL M2/2435HPL + Acoustic Elegance TD15M-Apollo.

Whilst I am a huge SB/Satori fanboy I dont think your combination will work well.

Just for kicks I measured (umik+REW) the distortion levels of both systems and the AE/JBL combo was way lower in distortion than the Satori TW29R+MW16, something like -70db vs -45db.

IMO the difference in performance is also too much for them to mate well.

I'd suggest the Acoustic Elegance midwoofers to match to the 2380.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I really like the MR16. I have the 4 Ohm, gray cone. I have never heard the MR13. I may try the MW13TX next; it shows a very flat and smooth FR compared to all Papyrus MW and MR models. The MR16 does very well even at higher frequencies for a driver of this size. I don't worry about beaming as much as others. If you are not worried about beaming; I would choose the bigger MR16 over the smaller MR13. I have my MR16 with just a 1st order passive X/O. The acoustic roll off happens higher than the electrical F0 because of the rising FR at higher frequencies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.