The backwards facing loudspeaker "project"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After digesting a long thread about waveguides, some large and going quite low, I was thinking about building something with one. And if big enough, with large woofers, maybe no need for separate subs which are problematic in the space I want to rework next. So typically you end up with a horn in the top part of a tower with some big PA-style woofer below, maybe two. Blah. Or put the woofers on the sides opposed...still not attractive, and not practical for the space.

Then a little thought popped into my head. What if the woofer(s) were on the BACK, facing the wall? Yes, myriad problems come up:
(a) Getting the horn to go low enough...this implies probably a larger horn than there's really space for :rolleyes:
(b) Finding a woofer setup whose radiation would need to be essentially omnidirectional to a pretty high frequency.
(c) The slot between the woofer(s) and the wall could make a resonance. Perhaps some kind of splitter or phase plug could be applied on the back to reduce phase cancellation?
(d) There's a time alignment problem between the horn and the woofers. Maybe with the right AVR* the AVR could power the woofers and in parallel from preouts power external amps with ideally crossover and time delay to power the horns?

What other problems and hopefully solutions can y'all think up?

P.S. If you are objecting that "the speaker isn't backwards, just part"-yeah, you're right :eek:

*Yes many amazing solutions are possible with all kinds of multi-box solutions, miniDSP etc, but that's not something this friend would want to get into at all.

As long as you cross low enough I don't see why it wouldn't work. Getting the horn big enough to work down to 200 hz might be pushing it though.

And on the topic of omnidirectionality, that's basically just a ratio of the size of the woofer. In this case you could consider multiple smaller woofers as this would make it omni higher in frequency. Even better if you had 2-4 woofers on the side since then you can invert half of them and mount them in a force-cancelling setup.

If you go multiple smaller woofers you could also go the unity horn route and mount them to the horn and hide them that way.

Have you researched corner horns?
What are your space constraints?
Good question! The space is maximum 97" along a wall, hallway door on the left and french door swings open on the right. The 97" is off-center from the room; if you centered the layout along the centerline of the room that drops to 81" width. Said width would have to accomodate L/C/R, and in between a couple of cabinets to store router, AVR, wiring, antenna. TV would sit on top of this.

As long as you cross low enough I don't see why it wouldn't work. Getting the horn big enough to work down to 200 hz might be pushing it though.
Yeah, that's probably the trick. A stack of 6" woofers wouldn't cross to a 6" wide horn I don't think. (And it would be nice to have big, PA-style sensitivity :D)
Maybe this needs a giant vertical horn with a diffraction slot, ha ha.

I can't visualize your space situation.... so with that said. Google "Klipsch Jubilee". Big horn on top, uses two 12" woofers. Being horn loaded bass bin, will "keep up" with their cabinet that use multiple 15" drivers. Being horn loaded, will have dynamics out the wazoo.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Bose 901 was famous for 8 facing back drivers and 1 facing front.
c449124fbf316b929957fc4294408d39.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.