Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Jean Hiraga Altec A5 Crossover modification
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2020, 01:32 PM   #31
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks for the graphs tizman. Well plotted. As suspected, your bass bin has a big hump in the middle. It doesn't go very high or very low, actually. You have placed the cross-hair marker right where the bass hump is. The 511 is looking pretty good. I agree with Glyph that it should be a bit louder, but at least its shape is good.

With responses like that you will need to resort to EQ on the woofer, at least. That could be tricky in passive EQ, but we can figure it out. Basically you want to flatten the bass response centered on the 250Hz hump. Is it an 8 ohm woofer?

It looks like you don't have much wiggle room for your crossover as there isn't much overlap between the section. And you may be happy with the falling response of the horn, but flattening the droop is likely going to be needed.
Old 20th July 2020, 01:38 PM   #32
coresta is offline coresta  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Unfortunately it looks like you've gone down the wrong path. This published crossover is not at all suited to your speaker. You'll do best to start from scratch. Sorry for the bad news.

Since I was there for the original Hiraga A5 speaker and crossover (I used them for gigs) I know how they can sound. When I built my own A5 and tried to use the published crossover it was not at all satisfactory. I had to start from scratch. The A7-500 crossover was different from that, and the A7-800 a little different still.
Yep ! + 1 ,
I did too , and finally went back to genuine A5 Xover ...
Old 20th July 2020, 04:07 PM   #33
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Basically you want to flatten the bass response centered on the 250Hz hump.

It looks like you don't have much wiggle room for your crossover as there isn't much overlap between the section. And you may be happy with the falling response of the horn, but flattening the droop is likely going to be needed.
Acoustic solutions to acoustic problems!

Seal off the vent and gap the driver as required to both unload the horn into just a WG and tune the cab.

All these type woofer horn combos need HF CD horn EQ [RLC network] to replace the matching impedance DF = 1 SET amps with variable DF tone controls used to 'voice' the originals. Once done right and dialed into the room to 'flat' from whatever cab tuning chosen to ~12.5 kHz, a stereo system should be ~99 dB/W/m eff., so outboard EQ will be required for top end 'air', the few instruments with extreme 'pierce'.

GM
Old 20th July 2020, 04:18 PM   #34
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Doing it acoustically would certainly be best. Having a look at the Kappa datasheets, the measured response is not too surprising. If the bass cabinet and woofer can be better tuned, that's the road to follow.
Old 20th July 2020, 05:43 PM   #35
tizman is offline tizman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlK View Post
File ( menu ) >> Export >> "Export measurement as Text" ( 1st choice in list ).

I tried that, but couldnít figure out where it went afterwards. Iíll give it another go.
Old 20th July 2020, 06:00 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Doing it acoustically would certainly be best. Having a look at the Kappa datasheets, the measured response is not too surprising. If the bass cabinet and woofer can be better tuned, that's the road to follow.
Iím not sure how I would tune the FH-1 cabinet other than doing so through the crossover. At this point, using the Riggle version of the the Hiraga schematic, which adds a L-Pad at the output, the L-Pad has no function. I could try rewiring the L-Pad so that it is at the output of the LF section instead, or leave it there and add a fixed L-Pad to bring down the output of the lLF section. Using the existing Hiraga crossover that I have, I tried bypassing the 12 Ohm resistor in the HF shaping LCR filter, and it increased the overall HF output by about 3DB. For clarity, I use SET amps mostly, and the last combined measurement of the raw drivers was done with one.
Old 20th July 2020, 06:57 PM   #37
RobWells is offline RobWells  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizman View Post
I tried that, but couldnít figure out where it went afterwards. Iíll give it another go.
After you click export you should get a window come up where you choose the folder to save to and the file name you want. Sometimes it's behind the main REW window so minimise REW and you should see it.
Old 20th July 2020, 07:03 PM   #38
the Glyph is offline the Glyph  United States
diyAudio Member

"The amp I am currently using is a single ended EL84 triode connected amp"

The woofer you are using is a popular replacement for the Black Widow. I am wondering if the Kappa 15C is new, if so it needs breaking in. A small tube amp will not do this.

Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (20.9 KB, 110 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 290-459--eminence-kappa-15c-spec-sheet.pdf (531.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 20th July 2020, 07:24 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWells View Post
After you click export you should get a window come up where you choose the folder to save to and the file name you want. Sometimes it's behind the main REW window so minimise REW and you should see it.
Thanks. Iíll try that shortly.
Old 20th July 2020, 07:27 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Glyph View Post
"The amp I am currently using is a single ended EL84 triode connected amp"

The woofer you are using is a popular replacement for the Black Widow. I am wondering if the Kappa 15C is new, if so it needs breaking in. A small tube amp will not do this.

Thanks. I had not thought of that. I will put a beefier SS amp on it.

Jean Hiraga Altec A5 Crossover modificationHide this!Advertise here!