Tannoy D500 Series 2 refoaming problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I own a pair of Tannoy D500 Series 2 for nearly 20 years now. Still sound great, lately collaborating with a newly revised Quad 303.

Now my Tannoys need a refoaming, see pics. First action: have a look inside to learn what's inside, and what to order. My problem: I can't get the speakers off the front panel. All four screws were removed easily, but both concentric and bass unit won't move a bit.

Accessing it from the bottom plate or the crossover panel failed, because the damping material (foam) cannot be removed from there.

Any ideas how to proceed?

Attachments

• DSC05808_sm.jpg
    DSC05808_sm.jpg
    794.7 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC05805_sm.jpg
    DSC05805_sm.jpg
    869.4 KB · Views: 207
Take a bolt which is slightly larger in diameter than a vacant mounting hole and tap it into the metal. You may then obtain enough purchase on pulling the bolt to start lifting the driver from its seating. It is probably stuck in place by a gasket of some sort.

Take a bolt which is slightly larger in diameter than a vacant mounting hole and tap it into the metal. You may then obtain enough purchase on pulling the bolt to start lifting the driver from its seating. It is probably stuck in place by a gasket of some sort.

Good tip- or get a spudge in plastic/Nylon to get some leverage. Careful with the wood... There is quite a large gasket of foam on the back of these drivers that has probably stuck after all these years.

Don't know what thickness the front panel is but on my tannoy actives it was 3 cm, and rebating them worked wonders in the mids for the dual concentric see: chamfering driver holes.
Last thing i beleive WD 40 would dissolve the glue between cone and suspension, i once had the stupid idea of cleaning the cone with it to make it shine and I'm pretty lucky i did not use more. To be confirmed.

You could also place a small flat blade screwdriver inside the vacant mounting hole and gently try to lever the driver out from within the hole.

A suitably padded object of the appropriate height would have to be placed carefully on the wood surface to provide the necessary pivot point or fulcrum for the screwdriver.

The idea, of course, is to protect what is likely a real wood veneer finish at all costs. And, also to that end, I'd be very wary of applying WD40.

You could also place a small flat blade screwdriver inside the vacant mounting hole and gently try to lever the driver out from within the hole.
Thanks, found something better: it turned out that my Philips screw driver fits *exactly* in the mounting holes. Half a minute of gently increasing movements loosened the speaker. So far, so good.

Meanwhile I'm in contact with an England based company offering Tannoy service. They doubt that exactly the parts needed will still be available. Also I was told that they usually solve that kind of problem with shoe repair glue from the back side, if they can't get spare parts.

Has anyone some experience doing so? At least this sounds like a temporary patch until I find suitable spare parts.

Maybe I'll contact Tannoy service directly for parts.

You could try reaching out to this guy:
https://www.ebay.de/str/sicken4you
He claims to be able to produce sizes not readily available.
Ok so far! He did not have surrounds for my speakers on his ebay shop, but put one up on my request. Bought a kit of 4 surrounds including glue and solvent for 65 Euros.

Now I'm really looking forward to delivery. Will keep you informed. Thanks for your support so far to all of you, and have a nice weekend!

Attachments

• D500-Sicken.jpg
    D500-Sicken.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.