Portable hifi speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm new to diy speakers, only starting down this rabbit hole a week or so ago. I want to build a high end portable bluetooth boombox. Something that will wow me and my family that I can bring along when we go on trips or parties.

This is my list so far
Monoprice Premium Bluetooth 5 Transmitter & Receiver- for the bluetooth
minidsp 2x4 hd - using it as crossover
ICEpower 50ASX2SE - for the tweeter and midrange
ICEpower 125ASX2 - for the woofer

Drivers
ScanSpeak 15W/8530K-00 - midrange
ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6040-00 or the be version if that is worth the extra 200$
not exactly sure what woofer to get

Currently considering passive radiators or ported but not entirely sure what the advantages and disadvantages are. Also considering just using a predesigned center speaker and modifying it somewhat to make it bluetooth and portable.

Are you sure you want to spend for state of the art drivers for a portable BT speaker where everything you work into such a design makes it a less than optimal music source?

1- stereo separation will be nill
2- left and right driver isolation will likely not be easy
3- most listening is done off-axis rather than at/in an optimal location
4- weight of items intended will be heavy
5- sensitivity of drivers intended will sap lots of power with somewhat low output compared to others
6- BT, MP3, and other streaming services are likely lower bit-rate than the comparable hi-res files, CDs, or the like. Garbage in = garbage out.

Think of it this way- save some money and make it more mid-fi to not expect the best and be disappointed. Most of these kinds of projects are more of an ambient-noise/background-noise or musicblaster.

You should use drivers that are more sensitive to not require so much power, as well as durable materials for outdoor usage. A metal grill is likely a good idea.

Do you want battery powered as well? Another reason to increase efficiency for the system as a whole.

3-ways are really complicated, and this would place undue duress on your results. If not a 2-way build, then maybe a wide-range stereo with an additional subwoofer?

If you'd like some ideas, I built one myself into a wooden crate meant for CD storage from a local supplier, and it has wowed a good many people both in my family and not.

OSFA:
Theorized and built: "OSFA", one size fits all bluetooth speaker... -

Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Photo below,
Wolf

Attachments

• IMG_4558.JPG
    IMG_4558.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 278
  • BTBOX-SXO.png
    BTBOX-SXO.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 278
  • BTBX-SXO.jpg
    BTBX-SXO.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_4542.JPG
    IMG_4542.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_4527.JPG
    IMG_4527.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_4530.JPG
    IMG_4530.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 90
Perhaps I could shed a bit of light on this subject...
Way way back as I was in electronics school, circa 1984..
I was "into" top-end car audio way before it got popular & started going crazy.
The project consisted of a pair of Radio-shack minimus sevens with the factory brackets, the "component" Pioneer head & amp, the head, I don't recall, the amp was the GM120, old school design, way before digital.
Since the cassette/AM,FM head was approximately the same height, faced up, as the Minimus sevens were tall...I found a sealed lead acid (SLA) battery appx. the dimensions of the head..
Built a thin 1/2 inch! plywood box, battery on the left, head on the right...screwed the Minimus sevens to the ends, the top-o-line amp on the back.
Handles, corner protection plates, terminals to recharge the battery, little hooks to wind up the slack wire as I could unscrew one of the Minimus speakers & get all the separation I wanted...
It was heavy with that SLA battery, but would last 2-3 days or so...it was kinda hard to balance it on my motorcycle at the time...my only transportation.
When we think this thru, 12V compact batteries are now common & have come a long way since 84....and class D power for simple head units are far better still...

----------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.....

No doubt. If cashing in so much on drivers ie. your budget, I would just forget about DIY. Your money and most of all time, is better spent on buying a finished product like B&O beolit 17.

If not get ready to spend at least 300-500 hours into how a crossover work. Then understand how to program a loudness curve. This is how a small BT speaker works. A simple passive crossover will not work.

Not to say that it is not possible. But building a great sounding speaker, requires a lot of experience. Expensive drivers is not the most important aspect.

I want to do diy because I want to be able to show up and say that I made this and that it sounds amazing. I don't mind spending time learning how crossovers work. To my knowledge since I'm using minidsp, it should be easy enough to get a somewhat decent crossover and then tweak it to make it better. I know that expensive drivers is not the most important factor, but the best speakers can still only be made out of the most expensive drivers. I guess the question would really be how hard is it to make a proper enclosure for the drivers?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm thinking about about designing a great sounding, small table system.

With these types of systems, the issue I'm having trouble with is L/R stereo speakers playing so close together. On a main system when 2 stereo speakers are placed close together the center sound is forward and and congested. How do we overcome this? You guys are talking Stereo?

My idea is to toe out the stereo pair to hopefully obtain a decent image with some depth. Then have a selector to switch for L/R connected to mono, then system becomes more of a wide angle mono system.

Expensive drivers are not needed. My plan is one box of 10-15 liters, 2way, ported, flat down to 60hz. Total Price of drivers is $80.

BTW: I'm working on a 3way with 15M/4624G00($100) for the mid. I had a chance to measure response and distortion of 15M/8631G00($280) alongside 4624 and couldn't find a reason to spend $280.. 15W/8530K-00 for boom a box???

Are you sure you want to spend for state of the art drivers for a portable BT speaker where everything you work into such a design makes it a less than optimal music source?

1- stereo separation will be nill
2- left and right driver isolation will likely not be easy
3- most listening is done off-axis rather than at/in an optimal location
4- weight of items intended will be heavy
5- sensitivity of drivers intended will sap lots of power with somewhat low output compared to others
6- BT, MP3, and other streaming services are likely lower bit-rate than the comparable hi-res files, CDs, or the like. Garbage in = garbage out.

Think of it this way- save some money and make it more mid-fi to not expect the best and be disappointed. Most of these kinds of projects are more of an ambient-noise/background-noise or musicblaster.

You should use drivers that are more sensitive to not require so much power, as well as durable materials for outdoor usage. A metal grill is likely a good idea.

Do you want battery powered as well? Another reason to increase efficiency for the system as a whole.

3-ways are really complicated, and this would place undue duress on your results. If not a 2-way build, then maybe a wide-range stereo with an additional subwoofer?

If you'd like some ideas, I built one myself into a wooden crate meant for CD storage from a local supplier, and it has wowed a good many people both in my family and not.

OSFA:
Theorized and built: "OSFA", one size fits all bluetooth speaker... -

Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Photo below,
Wolf

1. A compromise I'm willing to accept
2. But it is possible?
3. That's fine, though if there are drivers out there with better off axis response and sounds almost as good I would like to know.
4. I will calculate the weight. It should be manageable though.
5. I don't really listen that loud ~85-90db.
6. The monoprice bt reciever supports AAC and aptx hd so it should be fine. In addition, I could add an external input to plug in a phone or hd player that could also connect to the minidsp.

I am thinking of using battery power. I am open to suggestions for drivers if you have any in mind. 2 way with an external subwoofer would work too.

Is there a reason why 3 ways are more complicated than 2 ways?

I want to do diy because I want to be able to show up and say that I made this and that it sounds amazing.
If you meet people who do not know anything about good sound, they will listen for bass and then say "it sounds amazing" almost regardless of what you paid for drivers - especially if you built it yourself.
If you meet someone who knows how expensive the drivers are just from looking at them, there's a good chance they'll say it sounds "underwhelming" because of the reasons wolf mentioned above (no stereo image etc.).

Also, your Scan-Speak driver is coated with a material that is slightly sticky - not really the best choice for something that you lug around, put in the boot of your car etc.

I know that expensive drivers is not the most important factor, but the best speakers can still only be made out of the most expensive drivers.
A fairly common fallacy to me. Yes expensive materials help if you are really skilled, but you'll be surprised what a skilled professional can make from relatively plain components. You can look in pretty much any field and see this (professional chefs with simple ingredients, a professional photographer with an iPhone camera etc.).

Unless you are determined to spend as much money as possible to satisfy some vanity, start with the most suitable components and not the most expensive. Also, if budget is a not a constraint then treat the first version as a learning opportunity and then build a second one with more expensive components afterwards - funnily enough most professionals tend to take the same approach ;)

15W/8530K-00 is $201 for me. Honestly, I probably don't need to spend so much on drivers, but I already decided to get some nice amps and minidsp so I figured why not go all the way. I could use the speaker in the house and while I'm traveling so it will get more use than floorstanding speakers.

Yeah, those ScanSpeak drivers as well as the Tang Band are really inefficient. I'd look for something with a MUCH higher sensitivity rating. I like your choice of the mini DSP and the IcePowers, though---but make sure to get the HD version of the mini DSP--it's noticeably quieter.

I would try to make a mono speaker with omni pattern that potentially would sound good from any direction. Small stereo setup will sound weird from any direction :) As big bass woofer as possible with supermaxbass DSP thingie they do with all the small portable speakers. Make it so loud that the typical portable JBL bt speaker doesn't have a chance to be heard next to it. More loudness, more fun!

Another option would be a 2.1 system that interlocks as one for transportation, if stereo and hifi is required. This isn't very portable anymore. I've got small Sony srs-xb12 bt speaker that has a link option, buy two get stereo. Sounds poop but the idea is ok.

Good luck!

Last edited:
it's alive:cool:

key components:

-peerless ne180w-04 woofers in 24L box tuned at 40hz
-seas h1212 tweeter

-diy tpa3251 amplifiers with class-H boost converters and pcm5102 dacs
-adau1701 dsp
-diy bluetooth receiver based on a microchip BM64 module

Even though this was a collaborative project with my brother, building it took so much time that our juices just ran out with the battery solution. For now this runs fine on a very beefy laptop power brick. Sounds good for the purpose, dispersion is pretty wide and and these woofers have a nice kick to to them.

Attachments

• IMG_1298 (1).jpg
    IMG_1298 (1).jpg
    948.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.