Large Advent clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
https://audio-hi.fi/download/pdf/Hobby-HiFi_2011-2_Scan-Speak_26W-4867T00.pdf

A review; in German but look at the plots. Another site showed closed box as small as 33 liters might work. I would probably say that is on the small side.

HiFi Loudspeaker Design

This is a handy calc; you can compare "ideal" to custom closed box sizes

Do you have a maximum budget in mind here? SS Rev. is pricey but worth it. I had also read elsewhere the newer SB Satori 9 1/2 inch had a similar sound characteristic to my SB29; great lower bass but mid and upper bass aren't suitable for a 2-way.

I'm very curious what you end up with and how it turns out...again; best of luck!

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
"This classic paper cone has a smooth response with wonderful roll off at 2000Hz. This is one of the only 10" drivers we know of that can be used in a 2-way by letting the woofer run full range without a crossover."

from the same Madisound page

http://seas.no/images/stories/diykits/pdfdataheet/SEAS_A26_AppNote.pdf

and a link to Seas on this

The bass here may not be deep enough???; (I didn't try to do a calc if using your own custom design/size closed box).

(Overall though probably a very good 10 inch woofer choice for a 2-way unless the bass just go deep enough for you!??)

Mortite is a PIA, use closed cel (often back) foam sealing strip — available at any building supply store.

dave

It is a PIA but is a very effective damper.

Of course with those large baskets ADVENT had a lot of basket to damp but they used the stuff on the tweeters, also.

I have been tempted to use the foams but i worry they will compress to the point of leaking.

Never had a MORTITE seal leak but then I might be lucky.

For someone wanting to make a NEW ADVENT the giant woofer basket will not be a concern since there is nothing like that on the market.

I had a double pair in my early twenties after discovering the ABSOLUTE SOUND in my local ADVENT dealer. John Coolidge was friends of the owner and had left a copy of the first issue.

I certainly wish I had never seen it since it did nothing less than inflame my youthful passions for audio that did nothing much more than allow me to waste lots of money!

But it was fun. And still is!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You would probably get good results with this large tweeter
Audax TW034X0 1.3" Textile Dome Tweeter
That's a good looking choice that ought to mate well with a 10" woofer. Thanks for the link.

For years I ran the big Scanspeak soft dome tweeters seen here:
Scanspeak Classic D3806/8200-00, 1.5" Tweeter
They are an excellent match with 10" woofers, their tonality seems to blend perfectly with a 10. But used them with a 12" woofer in a large sealed box and they worked beautifully. Sounded great as a big two way speaker in a very large space. These brutes were always expensive, but the price now would make be think twice - if at all.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
The Simply Speakers site says it is the same; except the magnet is round. My Advent magnet was square. Some "improvements"??? Perhaps the foam surround is a better hybrid/composite that lasts longer. The newer Advent woofer didn't look the same as the original Advent. I had the "newer" Advent. It had a pin cushion stamped steel frame but no masonite. I'm having fun going to the various sites and reading about the history of AR, KLH, Advent, etc.

Wayback Machine

Just found this. Henry Kloss needed a way to get funding for his projection TV; that is when he decided to do the original Advent speaker. Interesting history. (He is the "K" in KLH for those of you that didn't already know that).

The Top Ten Most Influential Speakers of the Last 50 Years | Audioholics

Low Cost 10" woofer + 2" full range, ~ $100 drivers, crossover under 1,000Hz
Peerless SLS 830668 10" Woofer - Coated Paper Cone $60 (-F3=43Hz sealed)
Peerless by Tymphany NE65W-04 2" Full Range Woofer $33

Interesting EconoWave ~$250 drivers, crossover ~1,300Hz
Satori WO24P-8 9.5" woofer (-F3 ~48Hz Sealed) $184
Peerless 1" compression driver DFM-2544R00-08 $65
SEOS-12 waveguide

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
This is the Satori I mentioned earlier; I had read from a few others that the mid and upper bass weren't that good compared to the low bass; I have the same issue with my SB29. Probably no issue in a 3-way; probably not the best choice for a 2-way. (I haven't heard them for myself though).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.