Speakers - Jantzen standard Z Cap or Mundorf M-CAP EVO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jantzen standard Z Cap or Mundorf M-CAP EVO for series speaker crossover. Any members have used either on speaker crossovers? Which one would you choose and why?

Mundorf Mlytic Ecap bipolar for the parallel with either the above.

Currently, they have cheap Rifa polypropylene in the series and cheap Bennic bipolar in the parallel circuit.

Attachments

• IMG_20200707_094412~2.jpg
    IMG_20200707_094412~2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Jantzen Cross cap, I chosed... neutral as the standard but cheaper. the extra winding of the standard seems not to make the difference at ears. You can also experiment 1/3 of // EVO oil if extra details are mandatory with dark drivers sound ignature -does such drivers exist yet ???-

You can use MKT in the notch and // to the drivers.

Edit : the MLytic have no big precision : advertised at 5% I always measured more than 11/12% more, Clarity mkt caps not precise either. Go Monacor for the MKT or polypro SCR for the // to the driver : cheap, good enough and measure precise. JB capacitors measured more precise than Mundorf in all the caps I bought at Lautsprescher shop Germany. Even the smooth foil from Mundorf have more than 10% precision : good luck with that ! MKT will cost you less for better results at the end of the day while nothing bad with smooth foil lytics for the sound.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
What you meant ? Is it not good to use MKT or MKP, at least because it doesn't dry and have precise uF value ? I meant MKT was good enough and cheap to use there vs a MKP or not precise uF value when you purchase a lytic. Am I wrong ? The // to the driver is in my poor english the 100 uF & 6.8 uF of the above shematic.

I also think it harms not too much fro my tries to use MKT in a medium frequency notch as the shematic ? Of course precise uF value if lytics will do as well. or cheap mkp sometimes priced the same than some mkt according the brand.

Last edited:
Not as far as I know, although most decent electrolytics will be good for well over a decade, and some are produced, or at least sold to closer tolerances than they were in the past. Given the option I'd still pick a film cap myself; issue these days with MKT is that they often don't cost much less than an MKP unless bought in bulk, so unless you can find some with a significant cost saving, there isn't a great deal of point.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Not as far as I know, although most decent electrolytics will be good for well over a decade, and some are produced, or at least sold to closer tolerances than they were in the past. Given the option I'd still pick a film cap myself; issue these days with MKT is that they often don't cost much less than an MKP unless bought in bulk, so unless you can find some with a significant cost saving, there isn't a great deal of point.

Agree about the MKT price, all is about the brand and I was surprised Clarity caps was worse than 5% precision there, and Mundorf Lytics being always more to 10/12% than the 5% advertised.... JB lytics was in the 5% advertised.

So now I buy Jantzen Cross-caps or SCR mkp for // with the drivers... better than to buy lytics close as expensive cause you have never the right uF !

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
AllenB, oups yu were going far I had not understood the meaning related to the voltage :eek:, certainly understood was a joke for experts trying to say the inputt was eventually not good. I precise I heard a difference in a CR impedance filter on a mid swapping the C lytic by a cheap MKP : sounds was strangly smoother, was it because the few less esr, I don't know but sure it was smoother sound.

I try to look at the spec to understad how it works but mainly trust my ears though aware about biass -pun?-

So what precisly your question according my inputs about lytics/mkp/mkt ? Yes I heard in real difference and purchased these 3 last months lytics,mkt,mkp, measured the uF and made listening tests benchmarking the dielectric.
Purchased at a said reliable seller in Germany I haven't listened the Evo oil yet but relayed humbleHifi test about it (and having listened some others at Mundorf but the basic mkp line, that's true they give something often airier and not always for the best for my tastes : unnatural . There is no doubt to me at listening acoustical instruments lytics, MKT, MKP give different result and often difference inside a same dielectric quality.

Last edited:
I guess voltages sound boring.
Yup.
What´s left to argue?
You measure,say, 11V RMS and that´s it, only a fool would argue against what´s shown on a meter screen.

Now when Poetry and Faith enter the discussion .... :)

Instead, I would worry about a 5W 15 ohm resistor in parallel with woofer ... at any hearty listening level it will go up in smoke, that if it does not make the speaker go up in flames, burning the house afterwards.

But why worry about small details? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Checked my bill : pwa caps, on two pairs one was 7% !

used low passin // to a driver as the cunterpart of a high pass tweeter filter ! that's worrying me a bit to have more than 0.4 uF of difference on a 4.7 uF cap ! SCR are more precise...

However Monacor MKT I bought for another loudspeaker was just perfect , maybe 0.01 uF on a circa 8 uF caps pair

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.