Alternatives to Dayton ND16-FA6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I am Interested in trying to add a tweeter to my JMLC 350Hz horn and make it semi coax.

Currently using a 1.5 inch exit JBL 2452SL (4 inch diaphragm compression driver)

The aim is to make it closer to CD.

Currently the pattern narrows in directivity as frequency increases considerably. I would like to hear what it sounds like with a wider top end.

Pattern narrows down to about 15 degrees at 10 khz (see chart in link below this paragraph)- however note my driver is 1.5 inch, and does not show the widening anomaly at high frequencies)

JMLC-350 – Horns by Auto-Tech

I can 3D print, so would make the necessery mount fit smoothly to the existing horn, perhaps in the middle of the throat, but not too far inside.

I'm sure someone has tried this before.

Is it a good idea?

Can small 5/8 or 3/4 Inch tweeters like the Dayton ND16-FA6 produce over 100db SPL if crossed over at 7 or 8 khz? High SPL is a reasonable priority as I love big classical dynamics!

Are there any better alternatives for a very small tweeter with high SPL and low distortion crossing at 7khz or so?

I would consider changing the horn for a CD one, but the only alternative spherical horn with a roundover on the mouth (needed for aesthetic reasons) is a tractrix. This is wider pattern, but not massively, so and they are not as good looking IMO anyway.

I would love a SEOS or OSWG, but they are not available in a spherical shape and 350hz pattern holding (as far as I know?)

The M2 horn is available, but is not free standing or aesthetically acceptable without mounting in a cabinet.

I propose placing the tweeter where the coin is in the image below, half way down the throat in a smooth 3D printed bullet enclosure.

Shared album - lance bartlett - Google Photos

Any suggestions/advice welcome!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.