Monitor audio ma4 series 1 crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've recently picked up a very clean pair of these speakers and I'm liking them so far and was planning on recapping the crossovers but with a bit of digging online I found they used the same crossovers across a fair bit of their range.

The thing is tho they used the same crossovers for the b200 sp1039 which mine use and also the sp1014 which is a different driver in most ways but they must of thought it worked, well I've got a set of falcon acoustics 37k crossovers designed for the b200 sp1014 and t27 that look better than the ma crossovers, does anyone think it would be worth while giving them a try?

Sounds like fun. But really those crossovers shouldn't need recapping, being film types.

I'd be more interested in checking the connections for oxidation.

This is the MA5, but similar, I would think.

268508d1330197714-help-please-rebuilding-monito-audio-ma5-crossovers-1st-diy-project-monitor_audio_ma5-jpg

Crossover must be like this:

268509d1330198153-help-please-rebuilding-monito-audio-ma5-crossovers-1st-diy-project-kef_104_crossover-jpg

Help please. Rebuilding Monito Audio MA5 crossovers as 1st DIY project

Probably a few extra resistors to quieten the louder 1" Isophon plastic tweeter.

You really need to compare the schematics. But in principle, I don't see why the spare Falcon crossover shouldn't work. Certainly nothing will blow up.

Thanks and yes they share the same crossovers with the ma5 although use a different driver, speaking of the crossover corrosion I got them for £80 because one speaker wasn't working although it had no voice coil rub and was visibly like new, well I thought it would be a bad connection and as you say corrosion between binding posts and crossover.

I think I will try a falcon crossover in one and then a/b them in mono as I know these are a vast improvement over some kefs I've swapped them in, also the wiring needs to be redone anyway the wire they used in the 70's to the bass drivers just never does it for me lol.

Last edited:
Well I fitted the falcon crossover to one speaker and then a/b them and the difference was to my ears nearly nothing so monitor audio did something right with these as everytime I've swapped some vintage KEF crossovers out the difference has been substantial.

Well thanks for getting back on that.

I've tried acoustic butterworth type filters myself, and didn't find they sounded special.

Regular third order works well enough IMO.

My old lecturer on filters at college explained that crossovers only make a lot of difference in the octave around crossover. The rest of the skill is getting the tonal balance right.

Troels Gravesen works toward a restrained tonal balance. Not overly bright at the top.

SEAS-3-Way-Classic

I only mention this because those MA4 speakers would make a goodish three-way with a fairly substantial hobby effort.

My nephew has a pair of Celestion Ditton 22. Superb vintage speakers:

271191d1331481799-complete-ditton-22-rebuild-22s-original-form-jpg

You'd need to add a midrange enclosure:

271192d1331481799-complete-ditton-22-rebuild-front-baffles-perfect-condition-jpg

Complete Ditton 22 rebuild

3-ways are just so much better! All about the voice clarity. :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.