Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

A Kef driver at tannoy
A Kef driver at tannoy
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2020, 08:45 PM   #1
celef is offline celef
diyAudio Member

Default A Kef driver at tannoy

I browsed the tannoy website and it looks like they have taken a cross sectional picture of a kef uni-q driver from the blade speaker as a header picture for their ogive phase plug page

Ogive Phase Plug

that must be crazy criminal and stupid
Old 30th June 2020, 08:50 PM   #2
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

A Kef driver at tannoy
Awfully similar aren't they?
Old 30th June 2020, 09:10 PM   #3
grufti is offline grufti  United States
wombat
diyAudio Member

A Kef driver at tannoy
There are also at least three spelling errors in the short text. Maybe KEF decided not to protect their design.
Old 30th June 2020, 09:26 PM   #4
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

A Kef driver at tannoy
There are more mistakes than just spelling. I cannot imagine why they go to print without a little editing/proofreading.
I am now turning a blind eye to the casual laziness, as I am guilty as charged at times.
Old 1st July 2020, 12:24 AM   #5
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Default A Kef driver at tannoy

I donít see it. I see a driver with a common magnet and ring radiator tweeter firing through a bullet phase plug.

(Wait, nvm. HEADER picture. Yeah thatís crazy. Their driver is quite different from KEFís though.)
Old 1st July 2020, 12:50 AM   #6
moray james is offline moray james  Canada
diyAudio Member

don't get caught up in a photo error as it would seem to be. This technology is most impressive and as I have found improves as the driver size get smaller (from 8" to 6" to 4"). The Revolution series XT Mini is said to be a 4" driver but cross diaphragm cone diametre is 3.25". This speaker is the king of the XT series with the most impressive focus stage and image due to its small woofer cone size along with a smaller compression driver diaphragm 0.75". They take several months to burn in and shine but when done they do not disappoint. Bass weight and depth is impressive for such a tiny loudspeaker. The XT Mini is not unlike the ProAc Super Tablette in it's magical ability to convince the listener that they are not missing any bass and that they do not require a sub. As Tannoy has said these are the most technically advanced and best performing DC design in the companies history. Stand and speaker to stand interface are critical in extracting the most these impressive loudspeakers can provide. I am now using the latest four post stands designed and manufactured by Skylan Stands of Calgary Alberta.
Old 3rd July 2020, 03:29 PM   #7
celef is offline celef
diyAudio Member

The behringer-group bought tannoy a couple of years ago, and behringer as a company do feels a bit cheap. If they can steal or copy others work i guess they easily can steal a picture without blinking
Old 3rd July 2020, 04:06 PM   #8
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Tannoy's tulip waveguide looked remarkably similar to JBLs which came out around the same time back in the early '90s.

I have no idea which hit the market first.
Old 3rd July 2020, 04:24 PM   #9
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celef View Post
that must be crazy criminal and stupid
The KEF and Tannoy phase plugs are similar to the design concept used in the 1970's Motorola/CTS piezo tweeters, nothing too "brand new" in either..
Attached Images
File Type: png Old & newer.png (624.8 KB, 51 views)

A Kef driver at tannoyHide this!Advertise here!