MTM sound characteristics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You wrote ..."makes overall sounds a little less organic and less intimate."

So if those two are the same thing then why describe it as organic? Seems like intimate would be enough. I understand intimate, but still don't get how organic fits in.

I thought maybe you were talking about a speaker with a little garden on top where you could grow vegetables.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Adason,
That MTTTTTTTT...TM looks great! I have always wondered if the compound eye approach would sound good. I guess it does!

Btw, instead of snapping a photo with your phone, try clicking the “capture” button.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DE554BCB-670B-4547-99D1-AA4891A7549C.jpeg
    DE554BCB-670B-4547-99D1-AA4891A7549C.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 427
I certainly dont intend to spoil the fun.

However, I see an omni array since its is splaying even the highs to the sides as noted here

Can somebody explain what contributes to great sound in such a 7 tweeter design? If, its an omni that means the outer tweeters are crossed very low and are not contributing to narrow the directivity. A omni response is same as what we get with single tweeter, right? How are 7 tweeters better than 1 single tweeter when response of both is same? I am not able to understand the Tekton design, never mind the highly positive reviews online of the 7 tweeter approach. They dont seem to be getting any close to constant directivity that waveguides offer.

Last edited:
I'd guess they act different in the vertical plane than a single tweeter would, meaning they do limit the sound output to a more narrow beam in that plane. Together they share the load so they are most probably capable of higher SPL than a single tweeter would be.
So I can see it working better than a single tweeter in a room with floor and ceiling.

Kind of acting like a tall (narrow) ribbon..

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member

However, I see an omni array since its is splaying even the highs to the sides as noted here

Can somebody explain what contributes to great sound in such a 7 tweeter design? If, its an omni that means the outer tweeters are crossed very low and are not contributing to narrow the directivity. A omni response is same as what we get with single tweeter, right? How are 7 tweeters better than 1 single tweeter when response of both is same? I am not able to understand the Tekton design, never mind the highly positive reviews online of the 7 tweeter approach. They dont seem to be getting any close to constant directivity that waveguides offer.

Better build it and hear for yourself :)

I have quite a few tweeters and wasnt sure of taking the plunge before seeing your build. Looks like I should build and hear.

What is your xover point of the build and whats the Fs of the tweeter? Generally, tweeters are crossed 2xFs but Tekton designs cross much lower than this rule. How low can we get relative to Fs? Cross at Fs?

It's not what most people would call omnidirectional since that would imply a spherical radiation pattern, or near-as in a practical room. It's just a coax that happens to be made up out of 7 tweeters instead of a cone with a single central dome. The outer tweeters are rolled off with a cascaded low-pass to avoid undesirable phase interactions. They can get away with crossing quite low because a/ the tweeters are themselves reasonably well-suited to lower crossover frequencies, and b/ at the bottom end of the passband they've got all 7 running, which gives about the same (or slightly more depending on model) emitting surface than a 4in midrange driver, significantly lowering distortion for a given SPL relative to a single tweeter.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi X, thanks for the info about the capture button. I know about it. Since i have multiple dedicated laptops, the one with rew and soundcard is not set up with internet. I could transfer the capture with memory stick, but its just easier to use phone. I guess i am just lazy this way. I may improve over time :)

Ok, I would do the same if if no internet. :) A USB WiFI adapter is like $3 (China) and $10 (Amazon) in case you change your mind and want to make it connected.

TP-Link USB Wifi Adapter for PC N150 Wireless Network Adapter for Desktop - Nano Size Wifi Dongle Compatible with Windows 10/7/8/8.1/XP/ Mac OS 10.9-10.15 Linux Kernel 2.6.18-4.4.3 (TL-WN725N) Amazon.com: TP-Link USB Wifi Adapter for PC N150 Wireless Network Adapter for Desktop - Nano Size Wifi Dongle Compatible with Windows 10/7/8/8.1/XP/ Mac OS 10.9-10.15 Linux Kernel 2.6.18-4.4.3 (TL-WN725N): Computers & Accessories

Adason,

Great work. I'm interested.

I realize back on post #98 you told me you "do not shimulate", but I'm looking into it to learn. Attached planet10's depiction of the Tekton xo, which you linked to on #99.

Would you mind sharing which drivers you are using and the inductor values marked "xx mH" you are using, as well as any other parts you might have changed from this. I do not have the drivers nor the xo parts, and would like to shimulate to help me understand the design.

Attachments

• Tekton xo.jpg
    Tekton xo.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 261
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.