Subwoofer for an VOT A7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So seal the 416 into the "upper" compartment. Mount a woofer in the new "lower" compartment and all of said woofer's output will exit through the port. What kind of enclosure would that be? Surely you would want some direct sound from the woofer and use the port to augment lower end?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You're half way there. :)

Close off the woofer into it's own small box. Like putting a partition just below the woofer horn. Now you have the whole lower box (maybe 10 cubic feet) to use has your subwoofer enclosure. You replace the front baffle with a new baffle that has your subwoofer driver in it, along with the new ports you need for that subwoofer. Just like any normal bass reflex cabinet.

Your 825/828 cabinet now has two chambers. An upper chamber that contains the woofer and its horn, and a larger chamber that is your subwoofer.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
This is where a picture might be worth its 1000 words.
You would add ports to the lower section if doing bass reflex.

Attachments

• A7 with sub.png
    A7 with sub.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 114

Exemplar's solution to a subwoofer which "kept up" with their VOT-like horn/reflex speaker, was to use the old Karlson K15 cabinet with low fs Altec 515 and for original K15, make a port adapter using two 3 inch ID right angle "Street El" (I used regular PVC elbows)
K15's original port was 9 inches tall by 4.5" wide them narrowed in 1956 to 3.5" width so the port adapter is a perfect fit.

I can't understand what the front chamber involvement would be in the sub frequencies but it sure sounded really good and adept with my 4168Z and a 15 watt per channel JC Penny receiver on theatre organ recordings using a Behringer analog xover. (the high frequency speaker was a Karlson "12" with wimpy Knight coax (which had a pretty midrange - but impact was like a Nerf ball-bat against a feather pillow)

swivel those vents to so they are parallel with the shelf for better looks and clearance

some of the magic must be from the Altec having lower mass than many of today's speakers whose fs is in the 20's

paiJAU9.jpg

exemplar2.jpg

cGXqKlz.jpg

Last edited:
I can't understand what the front chamber involvement would be in the sub frequencies.........

some of the magic must be from the Altec having lower mass than many of today's speakers whose fs is in the 20's

Well, my factory 515Bs had a near spot on 20 Hz Fs from the factory, ditto the two I had re-coned by the distributor when asked to match their specs. ;)

Anyway, as you know these are only ~2 octave devices, so for 20 Hz it's down many dB by 80-100 Hz unless coupled to a ~matching impedance, so the front chamber sets a BP's HF response above its tuning, ergo reduce its net volume [Vb] if wanting to flatten it out or to a rising response out to its HF corner, which is a good thing when matching up to a compression horn, especially if corner loaded.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.