Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Best 1000$ bookshelf
Best 1000$ bookshelf
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2020, 07:34 PM   #1
MerlinPrimus is offline MerlinPrimus  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Best 1000$ bookshelf

So, I've been itching to build my second set of speakers for about a year now. My first build was a kit, lower end (200$) from Zalytron some years ago. I'm not yet ready to branch out on my own, so am going to be sticking to a existing design for this next one.

I have my building materials/tools already, and can afford 500-1000$ this time around for drivers and crossovers. I was looking at Paul Carmody's Carreras, but I only have about 2 feet behind the speakers to work with, and am worried the rear port won't have enough room to sing.

I have spent a lot of time researching, looking at different builds, but when so much moolah is on the line, I'm having a hard time making a final choice.

So I'd like recommendations for your favorite bookshelf speakers in this price range to help me make my choice. I'd love a build you've found where the vocals shine. Thanks so much!
Old 29th June 2020, 11:01 PM   #2
PeteMcK is offline PeteMcK
diyAudio Member

'rear port won't have enough room to sing' - put it on the front
Old 29th June 2020, 11:18 PM   #3
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Best 1000$ bookshelf
"Best" is not possible as there is always something better. But very very good or extremely good is more appropriate. Is $1000 price including labor to build cabinet or just parts and wood?

This is a rather large bookshelf, but it is one of the best speakers I have heard that can sit on my kitchen shelf. I built it for just under $1000 in parts/wood/cabinet maker labor.

Simple Passive Harsch XO Using PTT6.5 and RS28F in a Waveguide

If you use passive radiators, it is smaller but the sound is not anything like a TL.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by xrk971; 29th June 2020 at 11:21 PM.
Old 29th June 2020, 11:35 PM   #4
nareshseep is offline nareshseep  Trinidad and Tobago
diyAudio Member

would you rate it better than the fast 10f/rs225 tline?
Old 29th June 2020, 11:45 PM   #5
MerlinPrimus is offline MerlinPrimus  United States
diyAudio Member

The 1000$ is for the drivers and crossover, wood and most supplies (short of ports) is already obtained.
Size isn't too big an issue, just can't sneak full out floorstanding ones past the wife. I'm going to look at those purifi drivers, thanks,
Old 30th June 2020, 02:40 AM   #6
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Best 1000$ bookshelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshseep View Post
would you rate it better than the fast 10f/rs225 tline?
Do you think itís fair to compare to a speaker that is 8in driver with a cabinet 3x the volume? True, both are transient perfect TL designs. The smaller one has a waveguide tweeter that has a superb wide sound stage.
Old 30th June 2020, 02:51 AM   #7
DiscoJones is offline DiscoJones  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinPrimus View Post

I was looking at Paul Carmody's Carreras, but I only have about 2 feet behind the speakers to work with, and am worried the rear port won't have enough room to sing.
Ports only need enough space to not impede the air flow or act as a continuation of the port. 4" distance from the back wall would be sufficient for proper port operation, so 2ft will have absolutely no effect. Paul's Carreras are good speakers.
Old 30th June 2020, 04:58 AM   #8
youknowyou is offline youknowyou  Canada
diyAudio Member

quite like the Seas a 26
Old 30th June 2020, 06:37 AM   #9
hidjedewitje is offline hidjedewitje  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

You should consider a sealed active version of this one:
Puri Bliss - BeWg | HiFiCompass

Hypex plate amplifiers are pretty good for applications like this.
Old 1st July 2020, 02:36 AM   #10
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

From your comments, a 2-way using the 7.5" Satori MW19P-4 $184 midrange with the Satori TW29RN-B $146 tweeter is worth your review. Troels Gravensen designed/built the "SBA MW19 Studio Monitor" with these drivers. He used a cabinet with a stepped baffle for tweeter-midrange time alignment. Rounded edges are typically added. A ported 0.7 - 0.8cuft cabinet produces -F3 ~45Hz. No baffle step was included in the example since this speaker is ~2ft from the rear wall. Slanted baffle designs do not provide great tweeter-midrange time alignment for close-in listeners(desktop).

The crossover slopes are steep enough for you to also look at the flat baffle plus truncated pyramid type cabinet Troels used on his "Illuminator Monitor" design to reduce edge distortion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MW19P monitor.jpg (177.6 KB, 337 views)

Best 1000$ bookshelfHide this!Advertise here!