Frequency Response Match for Older Ears

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
There is a simplier one : when you spend more time on Diyaudio than listening music...:D

Well, I do BOTH!

Almost always music going on...Have you tried

Audiophile | Baroque

They also have other choices besides Baroque; 320 Kbps so quality is very good considering it is streaming "radio".

Do you have an LP or CD of the recording you wanted me to hear? If it is that good; I don't trust YouTube; I would rather just buy the recording. Sometimes; Presto Classical in England has high quality FLAC downloads; some are CD level quality; some are even higher quality than a standard 44 K sampled CD.

Thanks!

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
So do I ! I envy the guys that are brained enough to do both and at the same time: RTFM, looking at the scope, talk to aunt Maggy and run the vaccum cleaner !

I believe brand new audiologist from school should know two things or more than the older ones that hadn't open a book or a .pdf ! That's crasy the daily progress in science and hearing knowledge thanks to research :)

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hmmm.. from that is seems that front/back localization is what suffers most with hearing loss. Not left right. And hearing aides can make it worse.

IME many people don't localize sounds very well anyway, add hearing loss on top of that and 3D audio goes out the window. :(

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I made an experiment in my damped listening room with towers that have off set mid-treble drivers on the bafle. when the drivers are inside when the listener faces them : stereo is less wide. Maybe because there are less reflexions or the reflexions of side walls are delayed because of the bafle off set.

When the towers are swapped left & right for the mid-treble being outside towards the side walls : I noticed a bigger soundstage... but the center summing is floating, the voice that is often in the center in front of the listener is less precise... Audio is a nightmare sometimes or at least full of choose your poison decisions, alas...

When the towers are swapped left & right for the mid-treble being outside towards the side walls : I noticed a bigger soundstage... but the center summing is floating, the voice that is often in the center in front of the listener is less precise... Audio is a nightmare sometimes or at least full of choose your poison decisions, alas...

I perceive it that way as well with speakers of that kind. And I am also the "tweeters inside" type. I guess it is not only sidewall reflections that makle a difference but you also chneg the size of the listening triangle between narrow and wide - at least at higher frequencies.

Depending on the recording (and also my mood at the very moment) I sometimes move closer to my speakers and sometimes farther away.

Regards

Charles

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I have my mids and tweeters all apart from the woofer "box". This reduces diffraction certainly but also allows adjusting the listening angle individually. In my smaller room; the woofer boxes only have one location that works best; I can move them in and out a little from the side walls and corner but no more than a few inches. I have a super tweeter; some say the narrow angle and small sweet spot bother them; doesn't bother me one bit. I would characterize my high frequency hearing loss starting around 8 KHz is most like a 3rd order low pass; pretty steep!

Often there is a dip caused by Noise-induced hearing loss - Wikipedia usually at about 4k, I have one at 6k, which is around the frequency of my tinnitus. Of course it's quite possible that the tinnitus was masking the test tone, hearing tests aren't very good......in one of the tests I linked to they used eye movement as an indication of direction perception, most people I know don't have eyes in the back of their heads ;)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I also have tinnitus but it is not severe; I would guess the main frequency to be above 10 KHz though for me. Remember the old TV sets that you could hear the horizontal oscillator at about 15,750 Hz? Especially when the horizontal hold went off; this is what my tinnitus reminds me of.

Mine is around 8 kHz and very faint and only in the left ear. I only hear it when it is very calm. But I suffer from distortion when I enconter shrill sounds. I will try to find out the exact frequency and notch the range out on the DSP. Maybe this improves the distortion behaviour as well. The uppermost frequency that I can hear is something above 12 kHz - even on that left ear.

Regards

Charles

I also have tinnitus but it is not severe; I would guess the main frequency to be above 10 KHz though for me. Remember the old TV sets that you could hear the horizontal oscillator at about 15,750 Hz? Especially when the horizontal hold went off; this is what my tinnitus reminds me of.
Man ... I'd forgotten about that bit of tech till just now. How far we've come 'eh?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.