Frequency Response Match for Older Ears

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Try this
Online Tone Generator - generate pure tones of any frequency
you'll get right to it.

Mine is at 10,555hz, the frequency of the gods.

This is my favorite online tone generator for sure!

There are others though that allow you do sweeps; both log and linear. You can choose the min and max frequency of the sweep. For instance; you could sweep from 4 KHz to 8 KHz only. Some of them also display the exact frequency as they sweep.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, what Chris said. Our hearing isn't just frequency response and thresholds, as important as those might be. A very large part of hearing is understanding and perception. That is skill.

A cabinet maker at 65 won't have the eyesight, the strength, the quick reflexes that he did at 20 years old. But will he be a better cabinet maker with 45 years of experience?

Another thing that is quite obvious these days is that all of us unconsciously lip read and it aids in speech perception considerably. Now that many of the folks we interact with are masked it not only muddies up the audio channel but it blocks the visual channel. This is a serious disadvantage for me in trying to communicate as I think when your hearing fades you rely on this crutch more substantially.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hi Kevin, it really depends on your culture, country, personality...in some culture not looking at the eyes when someone talk can be percevied by a lack of good education where elswhere it doesn't matter at all... also true sometimes according the country into this same country... I believe the automatic eyes mvts that can slipbetween the eyes and mouth are also brain learned from childhood so very cultural (ie: not natural)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
When my sister was very young she developed a significant hearing loss. When tested, she could not hear the doctor when he covered his mouth or turned his back. "I can't hear him" she said. Of course she had learned to read lips - and rather well. But she didn't know it. Her hearing was fixed and I suppose she lost her lip reading talent.

I use FR drivers and I try to "de-characterize" the driver toward a flat (as flat as I can make it...) frequency response. This seems to sound best to me.

Regarding live sounds, I can still instantly recognize the sound of an acoustic instrument when outdoors; riding a bicycle or walking. "That isnt someone's stereo" occurs often, so even with

-different FR in each ear
- tinn in just the right ear
- can no longer hear sounds I remember being there in certain recordings.

"live vs Memorex" is still a very real and striking phenomena for me. So I realize even after the rain of old age, there's still much room for the stereo to improve toward what I can still hear simply ordinarily. As I've mentioned before -

- some kid somewhere near the neighborhood is practicing his drums; "That's not someone's stereo".

- someone plucks a note on a uke as I'm riding through a parking lot on a bicycle "That's not someone's boom-box".

- The kid in the HS orchestra cracks the whip-slapper in Sleigh Ride. "Good luck reproducing that"

-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.