Woofer choice for WHW configuration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't find the FR plots online anywhere; do you have an electronic copy?

It seems like I saw them years ago but they may have been when Madisound also stocked them.

Sorry, no, just a mimeograph that's seriously faded and no scanner. Anyway, due to its high inductance it has a ~+6 dB broadband peak centered at ~62 Hz, rising again to ~+3 dB/1 kHz before 'dropping like a stone' to a ~2.5 kHz/F24.

Great for 'toe-tappin' party speakers. ;) For cheap HIFI, used the Swan 305.

GM

I'm not far behind you in years, and my mother had dementia as well so I appreciate the desire to exercise the mind. You bring up a good question: flat response/wide range/low f3/high sensitivity ... (pick 2?)

Depends on how deep your pockets are, but my memory is too far gone to remember the brand/models other than Altec's 411-8A [B?] and 3182-8 that Great Plains Audio might can $build$, though Eminence has the capability to do different brands and/or customs IIRC.

Note that to get all three requires huge cabs, 20 ft^3 - up.

GM

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Sorry, no, just a mimeograph that's seriously faded and no scanner. Anyway, due to its high inductance it has a ~+6 dB broadband peak centered at ~62 Hz, rising again to ~+3 dB/1 kHz before 'dropping like a stone' to a ~2.5 kHz/F24.

Great for 'toe-tappin' party speakers. ;) For cheap HIFI, used the Swan 305.

GM

Who made the Swan 305; was that HiVi or did they just do the marketing?

I just thought of another 12 inch driver by Eminence; I'll research later. It may be considered only a sub woofer and therefore not suitable to reach as high as 600 Hz or more.

I had some Eminence 12 inch sub woofers myself maybe 30 years ago. They were very inexpensive but they put out some of the most honest and accurate DEEP bass I think I have ever heard. I used them push-pull (Isobaric) in a large box tuned very low. These had a spec. that said fs was around 15 or 16 Hz; I measured 13 or 14 Hz free air resonance! As I remember; they had quite a low Qt but once in the box and placed in the corner on the floor of my rather large listening room; they easily did 16 Hz VERY convincingly!

I'll see if I can find the newer Eminence I was thinking of; they tend to drop some models from their line up frequently. When I meet these guys at that training symposium; they said a minimum order for a custom design driver would be 50 or 100 pieces. It wouldn't be worth it to them to do less than that under most circumstances...

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-1520--tymphany-ne315w-04-spec-sheet.pdf

This may be beyond your budget. The NE series is very similar in design to the SB Satori and reviews of their smaller drivers from this series are usually quite favorable. I shared my most recent experience here with my SB 29 because I think you and I are after the same thing; not just low bass but also accurate mid and upper bass. I came REALLY close to choosing the Satori 9 1/2 FIRST, probably should have stuck with that original plan. I have no idea for sure obviously but I'm guessing the SB 34 would have a very similar sound character as my 29's. If your tastes are similar to mine; it may not be your best choice considering you want to cross above 600 Hz.

Again; I really place a lot of value in 3rd party testing, evaluation, etc. Not just scientific measurements but also listening impressions. Obviously; we get into personal preferences here but it I still find the information useful even if I don't necessarily agree with the reviewer. This is why I tend to trust Troels; he and I do think along very similar lines and he explains why or why not he may or may not like the "sound" of one driver over the other...again, FWIW

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
trying to upload image

tymphany_fr.jpg

Disabled Account
Joined 2019

This is the 12 inch Tymphany; some literature calls it a sub woofer; others woofer. It does come in 4 Ohm and 8 Ohm both; some suppliers don't show stock on either 4 or 8 Ohm both though.

It looks like it can go all the way to 1 KHz; I am looking for reviews and tests; coming up empty so far though...

This is GREAT! Now; here is where we REALLY need a 3rd party test. Because; the OEM specs. are not always updated; they are not always accurate and we need a totally unbiased opinion based on both scientific methods and listening tests. Some things I trust; Zaph, Troels and Audio Xpress, ... validity...

So after much searching, I found ONE 3rd party test... Zaph Audio 3-way tower uses the SB Acoustics SB34NRX75-6 in a 107 liter enclosure and gets this graph: (I don't like the dip at 650hz, my planned crossover point)

attachment.php

Zaph measured their own T/S parameters and came up with some slight differences, but still it seems like it worked fine in a smaller box than recommended by HIFI Speakers calculators. Given that I have 2 drivers per speaker, I would get an SPL bump and also room coupling boost, so I think it makes sense.

I may need to get me DATS or some similar measurement software to be able to extract driver-specific T/S parameters...

Six.

Attachments

• SB34NRX75-6-measured-FR-nearfield-107liter.gif
    SB34NRX75-6-measured-FR-nearfield-107liter.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 234
Who made the Swan 305; was that HiVi or did they just do the marketing?

I had some Eminence 12 inch sub woofers ....... I used them push-pull (Isobaric) in a large box tuned very low. These had a spec. that said fs was around 15 or 16 Hz.......they had quite a low Qt but once in the box and placed in the corner.......!

No clue, never heard of HiVi till I'd been on the net/BBs/forums for years, which by then I'd long since quit making any speakers.

Madisound had the 15 Hz parallel 8 ohm 1252DVC with a super high Vas and published 0.36 Qts [seems like it was really over 0.4 plus VC heating], so combined with cheap, isobaric was a good way to go.

Yeah, big fan of corner loading no matter what folks say. Never used/auditioned any, but I was a 'go to' guy for box calculations, so aware of them.

Madisound's measurement shows it ~flat out to 12-1300 Hz, but isobaric has a severely limited useful BW IME.

GM

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
No clue, never heard of HiVi till I'd been on the net/BBs/forums for years, which by then I'd long since quit making any speakers.

Madisound had the 15 Hz parallel 8 ohm 1252DVC with a super high Vas and published 0.36 Qts [seems like it was really over 0.4 plus VC heating], so combined with cheap, isobaric was a good way to go.

Yeah, big fan of corner loading no matter what folks say. Never used/auditioned any, but I was a 'go to' guy for box calculations, so aware of them.

Madisound's measurement shows it ~flat out to 12-1300 Hz, but isobaric has a severely limited useful BW IME.

GM

My Isobaric was just 16 Hz to 32 Hz; strictly sub woofer duties; big pipe organs pedal played with great authority; they only cost $25 US at the time; I had 4; 2 per stereo side. It didn't matter if most recordings mix the deep bass to mono; having a pair of sub woofers really helps.

Peerless by Tymphany NE315W-08 12" Subwoofer Speaker

The Peerless has impressive specs, I modeled it as a higher-priced alternative plus the Goldwood GW-12PC as a lower-priced option... they are both in the range, (the Goldwood and Eclipse probably have significantly higher distortion, comparing the LE and QES parameters). Overall, the Eclipse still seems like the right price/performance compromise, being at the lower half of the price range and providing most of the performance I'm looking for. I've emailed Meniscus to see if they can provide more complete T/S parameters or a graph... I've read lots of positive comments about it... nothing earthshaking - but a good, solid driver with a long track record. So far that is my top candidate.

Here is the updated list of drivers under consideration and the two most recent models to compare with the previous postings on Msg #38

attachment.php

Peerless by Tymphany 4-Ohm
attachment.php

Goldwood GW-12PC
attachment.php

Attachments

• Woofers.jpg
    Woofers.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 526
  • Peerless by Tymphany.jpg
    Peerless by Tymphany.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Goldwood GW-12PC.jpg
    Goldwood GW-12PC.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I am now in discussions on a totally different thread concerning my issues. Having done a deep dive; I have now seen enough comments and a few sims or models that are pointing me toward the Vifa/Peerless/Tympany NE series; in my particular case; the NE265W. Pricey but it may very well be what I'm after.

Have you made any recent, new discoveries re your NE315W as a possible candidate???

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
If you used two Goldwood's per side; the distortion might be acceptable. My personal thoughts are that they are probably TOO cheap and therefore had to take many short cuts and compromises to keep the costs so low. BUT, some people still seem to really like them regardless.

I am now in discussions on a totally different thread concerning my issues. Having done a deep dive; I have now seen enough comments and a few sims or models that are pointing me toward the Vifa/Peerless/Tympany NE series; in my particular case; the NE265W. Pricey but it may very well be what I'm after.

Have you made any recent, new discoveries re your NE315W as a possible candidate???

Yes! Found this thread: Peerless NE315W-08 for a 3-way?

And in it there is a link to the OP's Google Docs Spreadsheet with comparisons of various woofers (way more extensive than my list) ...

This is not getting easier... the Tymphany seems to be a great driver, but at a significant price.

Sixto.

Thanks GM! the specs match what I had from PartsExpress, the FR chart appears to be pretty smooth. Have you used these drivers? like Oldspkrguy said, the price seems too good to be true! I can't find much information online about previous builds (3 or 2-way) that have used this driver... Most of the comments on PE are about replacing existing woofers, which I imagine have pretty low XO's (below 600 or so).

Six - Mpls.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
The better designed drivers have many extra features that give them extra high performance over those much "cheaper" that make a lot of compromises and short cuts. At what point does this matter? There are some very good performing drivers in the lower cost and even budget categories. This is why I keep mentioning 3rd party testing and evaluations.. Some of the reviews in places like PE, Amazon, etc. have their place certainly; I would rather trust someone else though that has a much better understanding such as Troels, Zaph and others...TRUE experts...it DOESN'T get any easier; the more you discover; the more variables you throw into the "mix"...have fun discovering; that's the main reason I'm on this site in particular; learning and sharing...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.