Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Woofer choice for WHW configuration
Woofer choice for WHW configuration
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2020, 11:41 PM   #51
Sixto is offline Sixto  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspkrguy View Post
Eminence LAB12 800W 12" (304.8mm) 6 Ohm LAB 12 B&H

Lab 12 model; subwoofer only; 125 Hz max upper limit; very pricey but probably worth it to some people. I read some time ago they considered this to be the equal of many off the shelf 18 inch drivers for deep, powerful bass.
Yup, goes low enough but not high enough... Thanks! - Six.
Old 29th June 2020, 12:33 AM   #52
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Who made the Swan 305; was that HiVi or did they just do the marketing?

I had some Eminence 12 inch sub woofers ....... I used them push-pull (Isobaric) in a large box tuned very low. These had a spec. that said fs was around 15 or 16 Hz.......they had quite a low Qt but once in the box and placed in the corner.......!
No clue, never heard of HiVi till I'd been on the net/BBs/forums for years, which by then I'd long since quit making any speakers.

Madisound had the 15 Hz parallel 8 ohm 1252DVC with a super high Vas and published 0.36 Qts [seems like it was really over 0.4 plus VC heating], so combined with cheap, isobaric was a good way to go.

Yeah, big fan of corner loading no matter what folks say. Never used/auditioned any, but I was a 'go to' guy for box calculations, so aware of them.

Madisound's measurement shows it ~flat out to 12-1300 Hz, but isobaric has a severely limited useful BW IME.

GM
Old 29th June 2020, 12:54 AM   #53
oldspkrguy is offline oldspkrguy  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
No clue, never heard of HiVi till I'd been on the net/BBs/forums for years, which by then I'd long since quit making any speakers.

Madisound had the 15 Hz parallel 8 ohm 1252DVC with a super high Vas and published 0.36 Qts [seems like it was really over 0.4 plus VC heating], so combined with cheap, isobaric was a good way to go.

Yeah, big fan of corner loading no matter what folks say. Never used/auditioned any, but I was a 'go to' guy for box calculations, so aware of them.

Madisound's measurement shows it ~flat out to 12-1300 Hz, but isobaric has a severely limited useful BW IME.

GM
My Isobaric was just 16 Hz to 32 Hz; strictly sub woofer duties; big pipe organs pedal played with great authority; they only cost $25 US at the time; I had 4; 2 per stereo side. It didn't matter if most recordings mix the deep bass to mono; having a pair of sub woofers really helps.
Old 29th June 2020, 03:02 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=oldspkrguy;6257472]Peerless by Tymphany NE315W-08 12" Subwoofer Speaker

The Peerless has impressive specs, I modeled it as a higher-priced alternative plus the Goldwood GW-12PC as a lower-priced option... they are both in the range, (the Goldwood and Eclipse probably have significantly higher distortion, comparing the LE and QES parameters). Overall, the Eclipse still seems like the right price/performance compromise, being at the lower half of the price range and providing most of the performance I'm looking for. I've emailed Meniscus to see if they can provide more complete T/S parameters or a graph... I've read lots of positive comments about it... nothing earthshaking - but a good, solid driver with a long track record. So far that is my top candidate.

Here is the updated list of drivers under consideration and the two most recent models to compare with the previous postings on Msg #38

Woofer choice for WHW configuration-woofers-jpg

Peerless by Tymphany 4-Ohm
Click the image to open in full size.

Goldwood GW-12PC
Woofer choice for WHW configuration-goldwood-gw-12pc-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woofers.jpg (177.5 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Peerless by Tymphany.jpg (116.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Goldwood GW-12PC.jpg (109.5 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Sixto; 29th June 2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 29th June 2020, 03:27 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

I am now in discussions on a totally different thread concerning my issues. Having done a deep dive; I have now seen enough comments and a few sims or models that are pointing me toward the Vifa/Peerless/Tympany NE series; in my particular case; the NE265W. Pricey but it may very well be what I'm after.

Have you made any recent, new discoveries re your NE315W as a possible candidate???
Old 29th June 2020, 03:39 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

If you used two Goldwood's per side; the distortion might be acceptable. My personal thoughts are that they are probably TOO cheap and therefore had to take many short cuts and compromises to keep the costs so low. BUT, some people still seem to really like them regardless.
Old 29th June 2020, 04:46 PM   #57
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=Sixto;6258373]
Quote:
I've emailed Meniscus to see if they can provide more complete T/S parameters or a graph...
Adobe Acrobat

Adobe Acrobat
Old 29th June 2020, 05:27 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am now in discussions on a totally different thread concerning my issues. Having done a deep dive; I have now seen enough comments and a few sims or models that are pointing me toward the Vifa/Peerless/Tympany NE series; in my particular case; the NE265W. Pricey but it may very well be what I'm after.

Have you made any recent, new discoveries re your NE315W as a possible candidate???
Yes! Found this thread: Peerless NE315W-08 for a 3-way?

And in it there is a link to the OP's Google Docs Spreadsheet with comparisons of various woofers (way more extensive than my list) ...

This is not getting easier... the Tymphany seems to be a great driver, but at a significant price.

Sixto.
Old 30th June 2020, 02:24 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=GM;6258488]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixto View Post
Thanks GM! the specs match what I had from PartsExpress, the FR chart appears to be pretty smooth. Have you used these drivers? like Oldspkrguy said, the price seems too good to be true! I can't find much information online about previous builds (3 or 2-way) that have used this driver... Most of the comments on PE are about replacing existing woofers, which I imagine have pretty low XO's (below 600 or so).

Six - Mpls.
Old 30th June 2020, 04:41 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

The better designed drivers have many extra features that give them extra high performance over those much "cheaper" that make a lot of compromises and short cuts. At what point does this matter? There are some very good performing drivers in the lower cost and even budget categories. This is why I keep mentioning 3rd party testing and evaluations.. Some of the reviews in places like PE, Amazon, etc. have their place certainly; I would rather trust someone else though that has a much better understanding such as Troels, Zaph and others...TRUE experts...it DOESN'T get any easier; the more you discover; the more variables you throw into the "mix"...have fun discovering; that's the main reason I'm on this site in particular; learning and sharing...

Woofer choice for WHW configurationHide this!Advertise here!