Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Woofer choice for WHW configuration
Woofer choice for WHW configuration
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2020, 07:02 PM   #11
oldspkrguy is offline oldspkrguy  United States
diyAudio Member

That Eclipse has been around for at least 15 (or more???) years; they may have to e mail the old spec sheets; Meniscus and Madisound both used to stock it; now only Meniscus to my knowledge. The SB will be the highest quality, best designed and best built BY FAR but the Peerless or Eclipse might be all you need. Even some of the Dayton drivers at Parts express might be a good choice. If you don't need to go lower than 40 Hz; I would then probably choose to go with a closed box; like I said, my SB29 is doing 37 Hz in room; that box is only 1.2 ft^3 (33 liters) closed!
Old 25th June 2020, 07:27 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...ifications.pdf

Mostly good reviews; I don't always believe PE reviews; kind of hit and miss like Amazon reviews if you know what I mean. The specs and price seem to be a good possible match for your purposes. Again; I have NO experience at all with these. Years ago I bought the equivalent of these in the 8 inch size and they did amazingly well for the money FWIW...
Old 26th June 2020, 12:48 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

HiFi Loudspeaker Design

This is handy; you can calculate closed box size for "optimum" then compare it with "custom"
Old 26th June 2020, 12:49 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

HiFi Loudspeaker Design

this one calculates and allows you to compare between closed box and vented
Old 26th June 2020, 12:50 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

HiFi Loudspeaker Design

custom venetd
Old 26th June 2020, 12:51 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

HiFi Loudspeaker Design

this one calculates the 3 most often used vented or bass reflex boxes so you can compare size, tuning, etc.
Old 26th June 2020, 03:03 PM   #17
Sixto is offline Sixto  United States
diyAudio Member

Great Links Oldsprkguy, I agree I need to start modeling these options to decide what fits my needs best. Thanks! - Sixto.
Old 26th June 2020, 04:07 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixto View Post
Great Links Oldsprkguy, I agree I need to start modeling these options to decide what fits my needs best. Thanks! - Sixto.

These were originally discovered by me because they are links from the Madisound site. Some people argue these online calculators shouldn't be trusted. I trust THESE in particular. Then; what I normally do is go to 2 or 3 other sites and try their calculators for confirmation...Of course, there is always LDC by Dickason; I like doing hand calculations, using a pencil, graph paper, etc....WHY??? Simple really; dementia and alzheimers runs in my family on BOTH sides; I need to exercise my mid 60's brain daily!

With a little practice; I could once again design vacuum tube circuits with a slide rule!

Go ahead and try modeling the pro woofers also as an exercise; you will probably decide the f3 would end up being too high for home stereo use. BUT, if you are going the DSP route and do very precise and custom EQ's, maybe you could make a pro driver work for you. Look at FaitalPRO; Eminence and others (PE is a good place to start). Look specifically on the Eminence site for "bass guitar speakers". The Eminence site has a lot of very useful information EVEN if you don't buy or use their product.

Most Pro drivers for guitar, bass and PA are NOT very flat at all. They are designed for high sensitivity and high power handling mostly so they can take the abuse of loud rock and roll concert levels. High Fidelity is NOT their strong point. Having said that; there are some successful speaker designs out there that do use pro drivers...again, FWIW...
Old 26th June 2020, 09:16 PM   #19
Sixto is offline Sixto  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm not far behind you in years, and my mother had dementia as well so I appreciate the desire to exercise the mind. You bring up a good question: flat response/wide range/low f3/high sensitivity ... (pick 2?) it seems that in an effort to grab market share, brands are segmenting their offerings to meet niche demands... one woofer may work great in a ported 3-way, and another is aimed at the sealed, small box crowd. Many choices to sort through before getting a feel for what parameters suit a specific need. This may take some time...

Last edited by Sixto; 26th June 2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 26th June 2020, 10:03 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Well, ask yourself this first. Do you have a fixed budget? Are you flexible? Do you have an absolute maximum amount???

My SB I think is lower in sensitivity than the specs. indicate; I just ordered a new kick-*** amp; see my thread "3 1/2 way with sub..." for details. USUALLY, really low fs also usually means LOW sensitivity; not always true but in general that is the norm. If you want the best of what we have talked about so far; that would certainly be the SB. BUT; I really don't know about the mid and upper bass; especially since you want to cross above 600 Hz. If you aren't in a hurry; STUDY...rest, go back, repeat...try to find 3rd party testing, evaluations, reviews, etc.

Have you considered 10 inch instead of 12 inch? This would give you way more options plus the mid and upper bass performance would be better all else being equal..."mass is the enemy..."...

Woofer choice for WHW configurationHide this!Advertise here!