Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Combining cross overs
Combining cross overs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2020, 10:37 AM   #1
hasselbaink is offline hasselbaink  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Combining cross overs

Hi friends,

I was wondering if it is possible to combine a passive high pass filter with a passive shelving filter? for flattening a compression driver with a rising response that drops around 10kHz.

Please post diagram of solutions.

Much obliged, Kris
Old 24th June 2020, 02:30 PM   #2
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

You are the one to post the needed data so people can offer solutions. Frequency response (.frd) and impedance(.zma), at least.
Old 29th June 2020, 11:46 AM   #3
hasselbaink is offline hasselbaink  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojzek View Post
You are the one to post the needed data so people can offer solutions. Frequency response (.frd) and impedance(.zma), at least.
Thanks Lojzek,

I do have all the tools I need, but I am missing a method for combining a high pass (say a large cap) with a shelving section. I am asking what the concept would look like and NOT a specific implementation that would fit my setup.

Truly yours.
Old 29th June 2020, 01:20 PM   #4
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Combining cross overs
Are you trying to shelve down with frequency, away from the cross (which frequency range), is there any overall attenuation required?
Old 29th June 2020, 01:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Alright, can you share what is the compression driver and horn that you are interested in? I think you will get more appropriate answers to your question that way. Normally, you can start with parallel/series notch filters before/after the HP section or in any conceivable way that works in your favor. There is a schematic in Passive Crossover Designer that you may find helpful.
Old 29th June 2020, 01:33 PM   #6
EarlK is offline EarlK  Canada
diyAudio Member

The OP should "draw out" ( via Napkin-CAD in "MS Paint" or equal ) the exact shape of the HF response he desires.

Old 29th June 2020, 02:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Kris was clear that much, he wants it flattened out, as far I understood anyway. So, we want to see the crooked graph.
Old 29th June 2020, 04:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes, lets see the "crooked graph"!

The short answer to the original question is;

Yes, the functions of the High Pass filter may be combined with that of the shelving/flattening filter ( this is best employed under limited circumstances ). It can reduce component count ( usually eliminating a resistor and maybe a cap ).
- The application is most effective when the HF roll-off of the horn/driver combo approximates a straight line that slopes downwards ( with increasing frequency ).
- This approach ( of course ) also has some built-in mid-range attenuation ( choose a smaller 1st cap for more attenuation ).

Methodology ( for a 2-3 Pole filter ) ;

1st cap; choose a very small value, say 2uF - 5uF where the turnover value could be around 8 - 12K.

Coil & 2nd Cap; values are chosen to combine/interact at the waveguide/drivers natural LF rolloff ( loss of loading ) .
- As indicated by a loss of level ( going down in frequency ) and found below the peak value of the overall ( raw ) response of the Horn/Driver combo.

Old 29th June 2020, 04:37 PM   #9
Robh3606 is online now Robh3606  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes it is but how much sensitivity difference is there between the woofer and the CD/Horn. The more the better as you can selectively attenuate the 1-3K with a notch and by pass the attenuation with a small series cap or a series notch filter to lift the upper octaves response.

The easiest would be a simple sereis cap but Earl is correct you need to have a typical 6db per octave rool off after the mass break point of the driver. Take a look in the referenced PDF's it will give you are idea of how it can be done.

Rob

Page 7

Improvements in Monitor Loudspeaker Systems

L200B Schematic

https://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/T...L200B%20ts.pdf
Old 29th June 2020, 09:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

As one example;

Here's one compression driver/horn combo that's pretty straight-line ( in it's downward slope from 2.5K on up ) for a driver.

These traces done by Zvu ( are from the Peerless DFM-253508 on the 152i Clone from B52 .

Click the image to open in full size.

Combining cross oversHide this!Advertise here!