Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

More Midrange Sweet Spot
More Midrange Sweet Spot
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2020, 12:41 AM   #21
grayxxx is offline grayxxx  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
I remember seeing those at the Scalford hifiwigwam show.

3-way Seos

After your post and reading the high box with the Polyimide Horn Compression Driver being the Dayton 250 or BC DE 250.... PRV 290....or now the new

Celestion CDX1-1747 1" 120 Watt 1000-20,000. and the depth meeting my size requirement I was trying to reach....also seeing the tube design for the

10" speaker was of help.....never saw that trick tube before...
thanks Fatmarley............

Click the image to open in full size.

Celestion CDX1-1747 1" 120 Watt 1000-20,000.
Old 25th June 2020, 03:03 AM   #22
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyiggy View Post
Wooooooow My dream... if there is a paradise after I want to be transported there !
Here's a pristine pair for $6999, nowadays a bargain on a par with the fabled $500 for an all original '57 fuelie 'vette in the barn back in the '70: Altec horn loaded speakers Public Group | Facebook

GM
Old 25th June 2020, 03:16 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayxxx View Post
Can anyone tell me where I could find a pair of Altec A4 cabinet plans?
A pair of plans?

OK, the 210 is the vertical cab and 211 its horizontal variant.

Note that the drawings are for the later 16" frames and while missing some info, all the critical ones are there IIRC.

210: http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...closures03.jpg

211: http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...closures04.jpg

GM
Old 25th June 2020, 03:32 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Would not think to many Altec A4s are still around....sadly
Click the image to open in full size.

Price: $6,000.00 Original Price: $25,000.00 Days/Views: 3014 / 2361 (Posted 2012-03-24) Condition: 7/10 Good Seller: Feedback: unrated
We have a vintage Altec Lansing 'Voice of the Theater' Model A4 Speaker system for sale. What is included: 3 Altec 'Voice of the Theater' A4 Speakers 3 288C compression drivers on 30210 horns (10 cell) plus:
4 Altec 515 woofers in amazing condition (these are what are in the A4 cabinet) 2 Altec 288C compression drivers on 30162 horns 2 Altec N500D crossovers
plus:
1 Sensurround (by MCA Systems) Subwoofer.
We are wanting to sell this as a complete package but for the right offer the components will be sold seperately from the complete speaker system. Please contact me through this Craigslist ad with an initial offer and we can arrange a viewing here in Utica, NY by appointment only A truck is available for transport of this system to a location of your choice for a fee Be aware: the A4 Speakers are about 7 feet tall and approx 650 pounds each without the horn.
Old 25th June 2020, 12:19 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default 18" woofer punch vs. 15" woofer punch "that is the Q"

This post started on enhanced midrange. And the picture post of a 3-way system with separate box for bass/mid/high. The bass in the picture was a 18" woofer I had some concerns on say the punch of a 15" woofer and the 18' woofer having that 15" woofer punch.

Question anyone have any input on the 18" woofer punch, concerning a 18" woofers punch vs a 15" woofer punch.??G]
Old 25th June 2020, 12:49 PM   #26
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

More Midrange Sweet Spot
Sorry I lost track of this thread. Maybe should have subscribed.

When I expressed my doubts about twin 10s, it was as a midrange driver. The good examples shown here and elsewhere are what I would think of as woofers, not dedicated midrange.
If you are crossing out of twin 10s at 1-1.4kHz, then sure, no worries. But aren't those just woofers? If you want to use twin 10s as what I think of as a midrange driver, say up to ~5kHz, then you'll have problems.
Old 25th June 2020, 12:50 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Thanks AllenB.......was hoping on the DIY Audio....brain trust on the 18" woofer vs. the 15" woofer would have been....analyzed and legated out.....
Old 25th June 2020, 01:07 PM   #28
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

More Midrange Sweet Spot
Quote:
This post started on enhanced midrange. And the picture post of a 3-way system with separate box for bass/mid/high. The bass in the picture was a 18" woofer I had some concerns on say the punch of a 15" woofer and the 18' woofer having that 15" woofer punch.

Question anyone have any input on the 18" woofer punch, concerning a 18" woofers punch vs a 15" woofer punch.??G]

I have deleted your link which ran to zillions of characters in length and was causing this thread and other peoples images to freeze when loading.

Please attach images as follows:

How to attach images to your posts.

Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 01:09 PM   #29
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

More Midrange Sweet Spot
Quote:
Thanks AllenB.......was hoping on the DIY Audio....brain trust on the 18" woofer vs. the 15" woofer would have been....analyzed and legated out.....
Same for this one.

They are looking like this. You can see how massive they are. Some of these are over a million characters in length.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Annotation 2020-06-25 135951.jpg (257.6 KB, 77 views)
Old 25th June 2020, 08:00 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Re the 18"; news to me! How was I supposed to know it was an 18" from a distorted, poor quality image rather than the 15" you referenced?

Otherwise; I responded with a good, simple way for anyone to answer your mid-range question, or any other BW for that matter, though you've yet to even acknowledge it!

Where was 'punch' mentioned/implied, much less the prime concern?

Factor in that 'punch' is in the ~100-180 Hz 'bass' or 'mid-bass' BW [depending on which musical instrument chart used].......as far I'm concerned this thread needs the MODs to bust it up into 'mid-range' and 'Altec Vott' threads or added to an existing one and start a new one for what you're really wanting, i.e. finding how many of what size driver is required for a prominent 'presence' in the 'boom/punch' BW while still wide [HF] range enough to XO to whatever size/number mids driver[s] are required to mate up to it.

Recommend letting the [equalized] HF system govern the minimum system efficiency if you want it done right since the lower the frequency, the wider its mids/HF BW.

FWIW, until fairly recently, this BW was [and still is in some apps] what constituted the [thumping] 'bottom' bass line of recordings, prosound apps where it was flat from 80-300 Hz, rolling off 12 dB/octave [4th order] to 40 Hz, so browsing [vintage] prosound multi-way speakers makes for an excellent guideline.

GM

More Midrange Sweet SpotHide this!Advertise here!