Egg-closures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've also confirmed the internal yoke volume 8.5ltr without driver displacement. And the port volume is 60ml.

The enclousures do have a plastic bucket type of ring to them and I'm wondering the best method of damping that down. I do have some Dynamat knock off and a few strips of that might help together with a felt pad behind the driver. I'm trying to avoid stuffing with to much nesting material

Looks good, 5 litres should do a few dozen. I bought some of this acoustic sealant to fix ceramic tiles inside conventional enclosures. AC50 Trade Acoustic Sealant & Adhesive 900ml I've only tried it on test bits of wood and plastic so far but it's like chewing gum when dried. I think between two surfaces it will stay visco-elastic but exposed to the air it seems to dry out a bit. It's very cheap but needs a jumbo sealant gun. They do smaller tubes but they're more expensive.

DPM is like soft(ish) rubber when it has dried but is messy to work with so I'd use gloves.

Either use a cheap brush or I suppose you could just pour some into the eggs, slosh it around and drain the excess. Let it dry and repeat until you have the thickness you desire.
Smells like tar while it is still wet but since it is water-based there are no lasting nasty fumes.

I think they do smaller quantities, either 500 or 900ml. I bought the 5L at toolstation because it only cost twice of the smaller tubs elsewhere.

Use the final coat to glue felt or whatever into place. I used foam tiles in my speakers.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
printing with flex.
Are you talking about the flexible build plate?

An egg walks into a bar and says, 'looks like I'm the first one here today', and the bartender says 'no, there's a chicken sitting over there.' The chicken says, 'can you come and take my order?' and the bartender says 'no I don't serve chickens, you'll have to go across the road.'

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Are you talking about the flexible build plate?

An egg walks into a bar and says, 'looks like I'm the first one here today', and the bartender says 'no, there's a chicken sitting over there.' The chicken says, 'can you come and take my order?' and the bartender says 'no I don't serve chickens, you'll have to go across the road.'

...catching two beers with one mug :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Definitly there is something with french & eggs, perhaps the C2C design : cake to karma ?

Elipson Eggs - Google Search

cabasse sphere - Google Search

The one I like most is the hard-boiled egg from Elipson already open with its half difusor : There should be definitly something crazy at listening it in the morning while eating two pan fried eggs :cool:. Look : BS50 TRIBUTE | Elipson !

Btw more seriously, something that could be drole is an experiment à la Linkwitz (rip) : the egg reversed -i.e. with the top fliped 180% above the top of the tube firering towards the ceilling à la Audiophysik loudspeakers :rolleyes:

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Definitly there is something with french & eggs, perhaps the C2C design : cake to karma ?

Elipson Eggs - Google Search

cabasse sphere - Google Search

The one I like most is the hard-boiled egg from Elipson already open with its half difusor : There should be definitly something crazy at listening it in the morning while eating two pan fried eggs :cool:. Look : BS50 TRIBUTE | Elipson !

Btw more seriously, something that could be drole is an experiment à la Linkwitz (rip) : the egg reversed -i.e. with the top fliped 180% above the top of the tube firering towards the ceilling à la Audiophysik loudspeakers :rolleyes:
I wonder why no one sees the musical instrument shape as the mandolin or the aoud. The focal publicity for it's egg shape, shows how internal reflections have varying lengths thus wide band or low Q resonance.

how might one determine a useful curved reflector for a Karlson type enclosure?

Karlson's 2nd and final Acoustic Transducers patent stated it was possible to lessen the effects of parallel walls in the coupler's front chamber.

Karlson's "X15" system introduced in 1965 employed a 3 panel approximation of a quarter ellipse shown in Fig.6

KaapRkS.jpg

-

Help with Measurements and setting up please...

--Edit, could not get inline pictures to load so have been added as attachments--

So I’m back on the case. I’m planning to biamp these with a ZOUDIO digital amp. Attached is a screen grab of what I have to play with. 13 EQs for the whole amp and a crossover per speaker with 5 settings.

From Munro, the manufacturer of the egg shells we have these specs…

Some one mentioned the crossover frequency was 2KHz but I can’t see any mention of it in the manual.

I have a laptop with REW & MiniDSP UMIK-1. And I wonder if you good folk would help guide me through the setup. I thought it would be a useful exercise given that we know the end result ie Munro’s.

Prep
Now to the egg shells. I have noticed that some of the threaded inserts have been inserted at funny angles or are loose. Fortunately that was easy enough to sort.

Installing the drivers and having a real quick play it is quite easy to get the port to chuff. Further inspection shows manunfacturing ridges on the inside of the port inside the speaker and that there is a radius on the outer edge of the port inside the speaker. So a little machining has got rid of the ridge. Not sure if I need to look at flaring the port or not?

I’m not sure I should be worrying about this but with no drivers installed the egg shell rings. I was just tapping shell at different points around the outside.
I tried painting the inside with a rubber paint (messy) but it has not changed things. Then added a few strips of SilentCoat (aka Dynamat). It sounds a little better. Finally a felt pad behind woofer dampens is spray mounted. That’s it got rid of the ringing.

Measurement
Not sure if this is the best or not but this is how I set up the speaker for measurement.

I took individual sweeps of both speakers.

And could see the tweeter was louder than the woofer so I played pink noise just into the woofer @ 76dB. Then did the same with the tweeter but that measured at 79dB. So in the crossover of the Zoudio I have dropped the tweeter by 3dB.

So what next? I guess decide the crossover frequency. The Monacor datasheet suggests 2.5KHz

Attachments

• Zoudio App.jpg
    Zoudio App.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Manufactures Frequency Response.jpg
    Manufactures Frequency Response.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Technical Specification.jpg
    Technical Specification.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_6761.jpg
    IMG_6761.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Tweeter - No EQ.png
    Tweeter - No EQ.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Woofer - No EQ.png
    Woofer - No EQ.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.