Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

A Monster Construction Methods Shootout Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2020, 03:01 PM   #201
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
PL Premium is like Gorilla Glue? I hate that stuff, expands everywhere and is hard as hell to trim and sand afterward.
It doesnít foam and ooze/expand like Gorilla glue but I think the formulation is based on similar chemistry. They both require moisture to cure. Spritzing water on the surfaces before applying makes the bond set faster. Itís incredibly sticky and messy like peanut butter when not cured. But I have found it can bond to plastics like ABS and wood better than epoxy. Itís what they use to construct commercial BB ply pro subwoofers out of.
Old 27th September 2020, 10:07 PM   #202
Pharos is offline Pharos  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just wanted to say that dowels from front to back panels are very important, and for obvious reasons.
Old 28th September 2020, 01:09 PM   #203
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Very cool stuff Sin Phi.
Click the image to open in full size.

These are 1/4-wave open ended waveguides. We usually call them tuned 1/4-wave stubs. A Fabry Perot resonator is a flat-flat parallel (closed) resonator. Two parallel speaker walls would be closer to that.

But I often use these on a large scale to absorb a nasty resonance in a TL or horn loudspeaker. If the simulation in Akabak shows a peak that you canít get rid of otherwise, I would design a thin channel of appropriate length (typically in the 15in to 30in range depending on frequency) about 1in tall and width of speaker. Stuff it progressively with fiberglass or other material. It really can knock a peak down by -6dB to -12dB. You can see this done using a 4in dia PVC pipe inside one of Danleyís tapped horn subs.

Finely printed material like this would be for very high frequencies like in a mid range or tweeter. And I have found tapered Dagger (tall 3 or 5 sided pyramid or even a round cone) rear chambers progressively stuffed to be quite effective at being an acoustic black hole for rear radiation.

A Monster Construction Methods Shootout ThreadHide this!Advertise here!