SBAcosutics Dome what material ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What material do they use ?
i noted that they are very very similar to scan-speak discover (economic range)
the top seies of scan-speak use transparent domes, infact can be seen the texture of the silk.
sb instead seems to use vulgar plastic material, also the economic and opt renges seems to use the same material

your contributions are welcome

The SBA website says "fine weave fabric", so it is some kind of textile cloth. If it was silk, I am sure they would advertise that fact, so I assume it is some kind of blended fabric.

There are so many varieties of textile fibers available today, it would be hard to guess what it is. Polyester or polyamide microfibers would be a good guess...

Soft fabric domes are analogous to paper cone drivers: It is not the choice of material that matters, it is the balancing and optimizing of its properties that makes the difference between and average driver and a great driver....

Last edited:
The SBA website says "fine weave fabric", so it is some kind of textile cloth. If it was silk, I am sure they would advertise that fact, so I assume it is some kind of blended fabric.

There are so many varieties of textile fibers available today, it would be hard to guess what it is. Polyester or polyamide microfibers would be a good guess...

Soft fabric domes are analogous to paper cone drivers: It is not the choice of material that matters, it is the balancing and optimizing of its properties that makes the difference between and average driver and a great driver....
i know that polyamide is very delicate material
where you read "fine weave fabric"

where you read "fine weave fabric"

https://sbacoustics.com/product/sb26stac-c000-4/
Look under Features, it says "Fine weave soft fabric dome for smooth frequency response"

i know that polyamide is very delicate material

I suppose it can be made to be delicate, but it can also be made into really tough fabrics. Nomex and Kevlar are both a kind of polyamide. According to Wikipedia, wool and silk are examples of naturally occuring polyamides (which I did not know until 2 minutes ago)...

Again, I don't know what the fabric used in SB tweeters might be, and it is unimportant. What matters is the performance.

It might be worth asking: for what reason do you want to know the specific dome material?

We can't know if it doesn't matter for someone's specific purposes unless we know what that purpose is, even if for any purpose we can conceive of it doesn't really matter :)

If you haven't tried this already, it might be worth emailing or calling SB Acoustics and asking them. At this point I doubt we'll find anyone here who knows for sure what it is... And I'm not willing to dismantle my SB26STAC to do a chemical analysis on it to find out, even if I had the equipment available to do so :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
the impregnated fabric cones are important as well. often it is made with a bath of a specific liquid, maybe sometimes sprayed and all the brands advert on their specific here !

Sometimes it's outsourced by companies which are making just the dome and coil assembly, sometimes 100% made at home... (= factory brand made)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.