Dynaudio Contour 1.8

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hi,
read the link I provided above from Calvin about D28 and FF... btw yu inputed in this thread I linked. And there are nice complete datasheets of dynaudio drivers.

Yep, all these guys buying good fine hifi for home discotec at night purpose are... crazy (I wanted to write stupid but it's not gentle)

For me, all and every contribution to this thread done by all of you is similar to study a master. No problem, I will get the level if you have patient with me.
If you goal is same sound as contour i series
Should be nice if I can choose, but not because I know that they are better than mines I only suppose so. As I said before 20 year of R&D make me confident that there are great improvements.
you need to buy dynaudio units 2 steps up. This is nearly impossible because you need to return defect parts others wise no new parts.
I was imagining this situation; this is how they protect the product R&D.
The best you can do is to use the dynaudio car series.
Nice try. Do you thing that they have the same quality level as the ones used in the loud speakers?
But you like the sound of the d28, do you ever heard the esotec or esotar tweeter? The d28 is a raw diamond in comparing the the esotec.esotar.
Are there any place where to buy the D28?
As I wrote before the best upgrade for Dynaudio speakers is to remove the filter and buy a good active filter and supply high/mid/low each with they own amp.
Hypex has great class d amp modules.
After adjusting crossover frequencies and curves measure time alignment and calculate corrections and put them in your active crossover(dsp).
If I’m not wrong your proposal is convert the 1.8 in an active loudspeaker? Today I have learned much more. Now I understand the differences between active and passive.
The Case for Active DSP Crossovers | Tortuga Audio
Do you think that the 1.8 original case is a good starting point?
Then lean back put on some good music and listen to your new dynaudio speakers.
All this is possible at the cost of €50 for used behringer dcx2496 crossover, 4 hypex 180 modules € 300,- and a lot of houres building and measuring and correcting but that is our hobby.
Great, really clear for you but I have to reckon that I’m far away from understanding all the details. I will investigate.
You are not including in your pre-budget the Tweeter and Woofers. For a non experienced persons as am I, what is esier, stay in a passive loudspeaker or move to an active one with 4x180W?
Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive Pro – Thomann Espana
404 Error - Audiophonics

Thanks a lot, again for spending you're time with me.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
the uh was for Lojzek ! (I believe the guys who pump up the volume during hours with hifi speakers are most of the time young, sometimes sons of the owner that worked hard for this ! I'm hifist from my 16 yo... and had very often to temper friends and girlfriends when parties where organised ! Eventually I explained, they didn't care (but I stayed the master of the volume pot !)... I call that Stupid... selfisch if you prefer... that is stupid for me !

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Pehaps, I beleive someone has to explain the process of the active speaker to the poster with todays gears if not known and also for beginner lurkers that may be in the same scenario.

If you source is analog : rca of a cd player, analog output of a dac, tape, vinyl stuff, tunner output, digital tuner that has embeded dac chip.... then these digital filters for active amp most of the time add a cnversion layer analog to digital, then digital to analog again and split the signal towards each amp/driver pair.

A better way at iso monney is to directly stream digital - the flac files of this thread- to the dac chip that has multiple outputts with the modern ones : AK or ESS brands for instance.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
In your opinion, which ones?
Regards.

It's hard to say with distance, I would say yur speaker is good enough and maybe the weak link could be the amp, then the source. But room dictates so much....It's clear to me the speaker needs at minimum a refurbishing of the caps and FF replacment or cleaning of the old FF.

And with hifi you are in the diminishing return : eachimprovment are logarythmic with monney (it literally shakes in the wallet). Active vs Passive is involving the future and make your hifi devices more a whole (the filter device and its dac to analog quality becomming the hearth of the system with active cause "relativly" more expensive but maybe not with the hearing result.... aka "when to stop with improvments by purchasing devices)

Last edited:
I had a md130/mw150/mw180 combo with active filtering one of the best sounding diy speakers a have built.
Did you used for this assembly an original Dynaudio frame/box, which one? Has it bass reflex? Do you have any photo to see your work?
As I told you previously, I have the opportunity of purchasing a pair of damaged Countour 1.8. What do you think about this option as a start point? Do you think is worth of it? Could I copy and paste your configuration into this frame?
I suppose that making this question I open the ocean but what is better in sound quality Dynaudio or Morel?

Pehaps, I beleive someone has to explain the process of the active speaker to the poster with todays gears if not known and also for beginner lurkers that may be in the same scenario.

Much appreciated your post.
More or less I have been reading and investigating what active loudspeakers means. We eliminate the analogic Restek Fable amp an all the rest stuff behind and we substitude it for the Matrix Element M https://matrix-digi.com/en/products/398.html, which I’m tempted to purchase nowadays.

Hi:
I have a Contour 1.8 working for more than 20 years <<<SNIP>>>

JUM68 said:
As I told you previously, I have the opportunity of purchasing a pair of damaged Countour 1.8. What do you think about this option as a start point? Do you think is worth of it?

JUM,

Some advice;

It's best to create only one cover story when asking for help.

I realize it can get confusing ( as to previous statements made ) when using a different language.

:)

Can you show us original crossover board (both sides) of Contour 1.8 so that we can engineer a filter to further investigate improvement possibilities?

I don't know if this will ever happen but here's a look at the crossover (and associated parts ) belonging to the next generation mkII Contour 1.8 .

attachment.php

Here's what an upgraded network looked like;

attachment.php

This ( expensive ) rework was done by the fellow behind this Facebook Page belonging to YingTai Audio Speakers

:)

Attachments

• Contour 1.8mkII_network_.jpg
    Contour 1.8mkII_network_.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 1,935
  • Contour 1.8mkII_network_rebuilt__.jpg
    Contour 1.8mkII_network_rebuilt__.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 913