Tear shape/jet engine cowling design speaker project completed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Stunning! Builds on here often strive to get the drivers and acoustic center's close together. Not sure if that's required here but it wouldn't be hard to achieve?!

In some respects it would have been easier to achieve in relation to not having to worry about balancing and stability of the housings. The intention was to separate the drivers. I could have done away with the risers and cut flat edges onto the housings to bolt them together. One of the most frustrating aspects of the build (aside from the endless sanding, spraying puttying, sanding...) was cutting those risers to the exact rounded shape of the speaker housings.

Very nice work Blueroom! Congrats! :cheers:
Can you give us more details on the drivers, XO, measurements?
Thanks,
X

I have attached the only build pictures I have which are from the later stages. The earlier and probably more interesting pics were on an iphone that went through the washing machine. I have attached a pic of the XOs (I didn't use the sticky tape in the build)

The speakers are approximately 60 inches in height and too heavy to move without dismantling.

subs: SB ACOUSTICS 12" WOOFER NRXL
mids: Scanspeak 15M/4624G Discovery, 5.5" Midrange
tweats: Seas H1 189

Attachments

• cross overs.jpg
    cross overs.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_5391.jpg
    IMG_5391.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 160
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
WOW, great! Right up there my my ideas as well but I don't have the luxury of any workshop or many tools these days. My "mid" (really a very wide-band full range) is in a plastic bread storage container. It does a great job; ZERO front baffle surface. Very flat and smooth in-room response from 150 Hz to over 5 KHz. I have poly' stuffing/fill inside about 65%. The rear is open but "plugged" with 4 inch thick high density foam. Not pretty but very effective. There are NO organ pipe type standing waves or resonances; I cannot detect any major peaks or dips in the entire spectrum so mission accomplished!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.