Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Tear shape/jet engine cowling design speaker project completed
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2020, 08:16 PM   #21
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Blueroom,

Congratulations on your build, very well executed!
Old 26th May 2020, 01:55 AM   #22
oon_the_kid is offline oon_the_kid  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Nice, you should have made it pink and furry....Tear shape/jet engine cowling design speaker project completed

Keep up the great work.

Oon
Old 26th May 2020, 02:36 AM   #23
Blueroom is offline Blueroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMG View Post
Stunning! Builds on here often strive to get the drivers and acoustic center's close together. Not sure if that's required here but it wouldn't be hard to achieve?!
In some respects it would have been easier to achieve in relation to not having to worry about balancing and stability of the housings. The intention was to separate the drivers. I could have done away with the risers and cut flat edges onto the housings to bolt them together. One of the most frustrating aspects of the build (aside from the endless sanding, spraying puttying, sanding...) was cutting those risers to the exact rounded shape of the speaker housings.
Old 26th May 2020, 03:16 AM   #24
Blueroom is offline Blueroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Very nice work Blueroom! Congrats!
Can you give us more details on the drivers, XO, measurements?
Thanks,
X
I have attached the only build pictures I have which are from the later stages. The earlier and probably more interesting pics were on an iphone that went through the washing machine. I have attached a pic of the XOs (I didn't use the sticky tape in the build)

The speakers are approximately 60 inches in height and too heavy to move without dismantling.

subs: SB ACOUSTICS 12" WOOFER NRXL
mids: Scanspeak 15M/4624G Discovery, 5.5" Midrange
tweats: Seas H1 189
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cross overs.jpg (50.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5391.jpg (95.5 KB, 71 views)
Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM   #25
oldspkrguy is offline oldspkrguy  United States
diyAudio Member

WOW, great! Right up there my my ideas as well but I don't have the luxury of any workshop or many tools these days. My "mid" (really a very wide-band full range) is in a plastic bread storage container. It does a great job; ZERO front baffle surface. Very flat and smooth in-room response from 150 Hz to over 5 KHz. I have poly' stuffing/fill inside about 65%. The rear is open but "plugged" with 4 inch thick high density foam. Not pretty but very effective. There are NO organ pipe type standing waves or resonances; I cannot detect any major peaks or dips in the entire spectrum so mission accomplished!
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #26
Soldermizer is offline Soldermizer  United States
diyAudio Member

Wonderful work. And don't dismiss the chance of selling some, even at astronomical prices. Remember that common sense and expensive audio equipment appear to be mutually exclusive And the wait times for your speakers...well...

Tear shape/jet engine cowling design speaker project completedHide this!Advertise here!