Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Acoustic Horn Design - The Practical Way
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2020, 08:36 PM   #41
danibosn is offline danibosn  Croatia
diyAudio Member

that was fast, thank you
Old 16th July 2020, 05:34 AM   #42
mabat is offline mabat  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

To those experienced with 3D printing, would you find it feasible to print a shell of a waveguide mould from several parts glued together? My idea would be to print a central part around the throat and several pieces around that. Even a small printer could be capable to print quite large moulds this way. I would generate STLs of the individual parts right from the program. This would be just the shell to get the shape, the interior would need to be filled.

Last edited by mabat; 16th July 2020 at 05:37 AM.
Old 16th July 2020, 10:05 AM   #43
Imbecillen is offline Imbecillen
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabat View Post
To those experienced with 3D printing, would you find it feasible to print a shell of a waveguide mould from several parts glued together? My idea would be to print a central part around the throat and several pieces around that. Even a small printer could be capable to print quite large moulds this way. I would generate STLs of the individual parts right from the program. This would be just the shell to get the shape, the interior would need to be filled.
This is absolutely possible and roughly my idea as well. But I was thinking of doing an "inverted" 3D model as a mold that I print, to build upon with glassfiber and polyester or something like that. 3D printing is fine for smaller pieces but to glue bigger pieces together and then use it as a final horn can be tricky if not sanded and finished off with some filling and paint. Hope I understood and answered your question. Just tell me otherwise

With some trial n error, a good printer and some time on your hands you could definitely print a complete horn. Either in parts or as a whole with a bigger printer. Worth checking out prices if other print for you, isn't always that expensive. Also check with your local Makerspace (if there's any in your town) if you can use their printers if you want to try yourself.
Old 16th July 2020, 10:19 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But I was thinking of doing an "inverted" 3D model as a mold that I print, to build upon with glassfiber and polyester or something like that.
Yes, this is precisely what I meant. I would like to try an "acrylic resin" - AcrylicOne.
I actually want to buy a (small) printer so there will be space for experiments. Thanks!
Old 16th July 2020, 11:58 AM   #45
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

Please take care of you guys with organic volatile compound by using the appropriate grade protection mask... it's not because it's water solvant that this is not dangerous for health.

Old 17th July 2020, 01:08 PM   #46
pelanj is online now pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I wanted to do something similar - not a mould but a full horn from pieces. I volunteer as the printer. If PLA is enough, I can print the parts for you to try out. My smaller printer is 180x180x180 mm and the larger is 260 diameter x 350 mm delta style.

Edit: I already printed a few things in parts - if proper orientation is possible, it is not a problem - best if no supports were needed.

Last edited by pelanj; 17th July 2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 31st July 2020, 12:34 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

In the meantime we are progressing on Tritonia baffles (milled from a solid MDF block) -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tritonia_baffle_2.jpg (163.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Tritonia_baffle_1.jpg (152.7 KB, 96 views)
Old 31st July 2020, 12:55 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Some of the drivers which I'm going to make waveguides for in the near future -
(BMS 4554, 18Sound ND4015Ti2, Faital HF1440)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07313630.JPG (508.5 KB, 76 views)
Old 31st July 2020, 12:59 PM   #49
Imbecillen is offline Imbecillen
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabat View Post
In the meantime we are progressing on Tritonia baffles (milled from a solid MDF block) -
Wow, looks amazing!
Old 31st July 2020, 01:00 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

BTW, have you seen the new JBL 4349?

Acoustic Horn Design - The Practical WayHide this!Advertise here!