Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

3 1/2 Way with Sub...My Upgrades
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2020, 11:52 PM   #81
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I wanted to mean : no sub anymore but experiment with the Satori + SB29 as 2.5 way...

So it was a 2.5 + sub from the beginning ? I didn't understand

Old 30th June 2020, 11:58 PM   #82
oldspkrguy is offline oldspkrguy  United States
diyAudio Member

well, no need for me. Before; with the smaller Satori as woofer and sub for below 40 Hz; the results were good. The new idea is to be able to increase SPL from 40 Hz up to about 300 Hz. Because the smaller Satori was in a BR box; it was limited in output; the reason I originally chose the SB 29 it would work in that box size closed; give a similar response but play louder and handle more power. The best solution for me is to not use the Satori woofer or SB29 woofer and replace them both with a single 10 inch nominal woofer that satisfies my need for not only low bass but also mid and upper bass.
Old 1st July 2020, 12:14 AM   #83
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the explain, I didn't get it.

Old 1st July 2020, 11:25 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

Well, the series combination of the two woofers sounds pretty bad actually!

New idea; temporary anyway:

Use the new Crown amp with the SB29 11 inch woofers only; inductor for low pass to be determined. This would be for lower bass only; maybe 40 Hz to 120 Hz???

Block the ports on the Satori MW16P-4 6 inch woofer but use it with the Yamaha amp all by itself. No need for super large capacitors this way for a low frequency high pass??? This would be a closed box then; giving me better mid and upper bass keeping the lower bass off of this driver. This would enable a higher output than possible with a low tuned vented (same box, same driver...Q less than 0.707 perfectly OK).

Put the MR16P-4 6 inch mid. on the Dayton amp by itself. The Dayton is the least musical amp. but this is just an experiment after all. The MR16 for the lower mids only; X/O ???

Put the Pluvia and Fostex together on the NAD amp/CD combo unit. This is the least powerful amp but I have used it before to drive the Pluvias by themselves and it does get loud enough at 25 Watts/4 Ohms for my room (in the upper midrange and treble bands that is). New X/O and attenuators??? The NAD is much more musical sounding than the Dayton so the Pluvias will do better than if I put them with the Dayton.

I have also used the MR16 6 inch mids by themselves on the Dayton; good enough since the real magic comes mostly from the Pluvias.

I have all of these things already; getting another woofer will just have to wait. I might not even need to buy any more inductors or capacitors or resistors because I do have a huge and very wide selection already.

Probably too late in the day; I don't want to take a chance and make mistakes in wiring when I'm tired; better to start off new tomorrow...
Old 2nd July 2020, 07:34 AM   #85
diyAudio Member

Another possibility. Don't even use the MR16 mid at all. Put the MW16 in the MR16 box which is already modified to be closed. This I can do rather quickly on just one channel. The MW and MR do sound very similar obviously; I bought the MR mids long before I bought the MW woofers which are really very wide band mid-bass. I wasn't necessarily going to use them both at the same time; it sort of ended up that way.
Old 2nd July 2020, 09:11 AM   #86
Pilover2000 is offline Pilover2000  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspkrguy View Post
I have all of these things already; getting another woofer will just have to wait. I might not even need to buy any more inductors or capacitors or resistors because I do have a huge and very wide selection already.
You would have a lot of fun with an active system.

7 channels (single sub), modify xover, volume levels on the fly. Yes sir. Lots of fun.
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:33 AM   #87
diyAudio Member

Well, the COVID has my Girlfriend and Daughter both out of work; I help them both with money every month. So, spending big bucks as we say has to wait I'm afraid.

******** What brand electronic crossover could I buy that gives me the most flexibility in crossover? I would want to try different slopes and Q's; not just frequency adjustments only. ********

The Satori MW might be good enough I'll decide I no longer need the WR. That would have me with a sub (already active); woofer of some kind; mid and tweeter as a minimum. Other wise for maximum craziness; sub, low woofer, high woofer, low mid, high mid, super-tweeter....

IF I can get the SB 29 and the MW 16 to balance out my critical needs of low, mid and upper bass passively; I won't need a better 10 inch woofer such as the NE265. The SB 29 is GREAT at the low end; 22 mm LINEAR X and a 3 inch VC and f3 closed (Aperiodic) in 33 liters IS SPECIAL for sure!

The Satori absolutely sounds MUCH more musical though; harmonics and overtones of the lowest notes are WAY more believable; then, anything else above that is ALSO way more believable. I could use it up to 400 to 600 Hz possibly; that would give the Pluvia the ability to play louder also. The Pluvia is crossed on the low end right now at 300 Hz but only 1st order. I want to stay with 1st order if I can get away with it; I prefer the sound better. I see the cone move quite a bit when there are lower bass frequencies getting through. I sometimes play it all by itself; I have only ONCE pushed it into distortion; it has the physical limiter like most Mark Audio full rangers do.

First coffee now

After breakfast; swap the MW in place of the MR (in the closed box; 15 l). First rough calc. shows that would give me a Q around 0.57; GREAT for better transients; f3 is a "don't care" here in this case but it would be in the high 70's or so.
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:46 AM   #88
Pilover2000 is offline Pilover2000  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well, the COVID has my Girlfriend and Daughter both out of work; I help them both with money every month. So, spending big bucks as we say has to wait I'm afraid.

******** What brand electronic crossover could I buy that gives me the most flexibility in crossover? I would want to try different slopes and Q's; not just frequency adjustments only. ********
You're a good person. It's tough times for a lot of people.

The Behringer 2496's are decent and come up often enough used. They are a good example of getting the right words to work with for searches even if you end up with a similar product.

Slopes / q's / levels. The ability to adjust easily is wonderful.
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:49 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

Decades ago; one of my buddies had a Sound Craftsman brand active EQ; bare bones basic though; just for 2-way only.
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:59 AM   #90
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
electronic crossover
Do you have a desktop or laptop computer with multiple outputs?
Quote:
I help them both
Respect, oldspkrguy

3 1/2 Way with Sub...My UpgradesHide this!Advertise here!