Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Seas DXT vs Seas 27TBFC/G + WG300
Seas DXT vs Seas 27TBFC/G + WG300
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2020, 07:47 AM   #1
digitalthor is offline digitalthor  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Seas DXT vs Seas 27TBFC/G + WG300

Hi everyone

I've been very interested in waveguide lately. But cant really seem to find my ground.
Since I have a small midrange and an existing 4 way design. I want to build something like it, but with a little different design and more constant directivity. So I found the Seas DXT that is so popular in Kii3 and Grimm Audio, which I also like to listen to, when I visited different exhibitions.
The DXT might be a little to small.... maybe. But I do have a 5" hard cone midrange for the project.
Then I saw on sound imports, that they have guide for waveguides - haha
SoundImports | "Wave guiding" your favorite tweeter. - SoundImports
What if I use the Seas Prestige 27TBFC/G with the Monacor WG300..... would that make a wannabe Seas DXT, but larger?
I can see on Heissmann acoustics, that the DXT can peform well. But since the price is very close - then I could not help to think that this combo might work really well.
Anyone seen someone do this?

Regards
Old 16th May 2020, 08:33 AM   #2
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

With waveguide that large you have much better directivity control and boost under 10kHz so you can lower the crossover point substantially.

Since DXT doesn't have a ferrofluid in the gap (and not without a reason), i'd suggest Seas 27TBC/G instead of 27TBFC/G.
Old 16th May 2020, 02:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you. But do you mean that it's actually not needed to use a waveguide that large, to cross with a 5" . Since the DXT can be easily be crossed at 1800hz??:
DXT-MON | 5 ″ 1 ″ | Near field monitor | Compact speaker
Old 16th May 2020, 03:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm using WG148R to cross to Seas L15 at 1650Hz. You definitelly do not need a waveguide that large if you're using a 5" midwoofer.

I wouldn't say DXT is easilly crossed at 1800Hz. I'd say that is tje lowest crossover point with that tweeter and demands steep filter to protect it from getting damaged.

Last edited by Zvu; 16th May 2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 16th May 2020, 03:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvu View Post
I'm using WG148R to cross to Seas L15 at 1650Hz. You definitelly do not need a waveguide that large if you're using a 5" midwoofer.
Which tweeter.... cause I really like hard domes
Old 16th May 2020, 03:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ring radiator at the moment, but i have used Morels and Seas (soft dome) in past - i posted measurements of those. I tried to fit Seas 27TBC/G but eventually failed. Very tricky front plate with mesh that leaves quite a gap when removed.
Old 16th May 2020, 05:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The L15 looks like it runs cleanly to 2Khz
H1141-08 L15RLY/P
So the DXT should cross fine with LR4??
Old 16th May 2020, 05:45 PM   #8
giralfino is offline giralfino  Italy
diyAudio Member

The L15 has a very strong breakup at 8KHz. Without seeing any distortion plot, I'm a bit worried of a 1.6KHz high 5th harmonic breakup induced distortion, so maybe this is a good crossover point.
You probably don't need the WG300 with a 5" driver, and the WG148 should suffice. The latter can be mounted easily to tweeters with a flat faceplate, but the 27TBFC/G doesn't seem to fit because of the grille, you could have more luck with the soft dome equivalent TDFC.

Ralf
Old 16th May 2020, 07:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giralfino View Post
The L15 has a very strong breakup at 8KHz. Without seeing any distortion plot, I'm a bit worried of a 1.6KHz high 5th harmonic breakup induced distortion, so maybe this is a good crossover point.
You probably don't need the WG300 with a 5" driver, and the WG148 should suffice. The latter can be mounted easily to tweeters with a flat faceplate, but the 27TBFC/G doesn't seem to fit because of the grille, you could have more luck with the soft dome equivalent TDFC.

Ralf
Thank you.
I have a fully active system, so with a DSP I should be able to tame the breakup - 6Khz lower than the cross-over-point??
Leaning more and more towards the DXT
Old 16th May 2020, 10:30 PM   #10
giralfino is offline giralfino  Italy
diyAudio Member

Most breakup induce odd (n) order distortion at 1/n of the breakup frequency. So for the 8KHz breakup I expect a 3rd harmonic distortion peak at 8000/3 Hz and a 5th harmonic peak at 8000/5 = 1600 Hz.

Ralf

Seas DXT vs Seas 27TBFC/G + WG300Hide this!Advertise here!