Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Crossovers and which Inductor is right?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2020, 03:10 AM   #1
hallcon83 is offline hallcon83  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Crossovers and which Inductor is right?

Hello, I am trying to buy parts for a crossover and have a couple of questions -

L1- calls for 0.259 mH, air core #16, 0.28ohms , I'm assuming that #16 is the guage of the wire? Is 15 AWG okay to use instead?

- next question if it lists the ohms at 0.28 , can I use 0.13 ohms instead?

- - - or does the ohms resistance have to be exact , I figure it shouldn't be more resistance , but can it be less?

thank you,
Old 13th May 2020, 03:45 AM   #2
volume knob is offline volume knob  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

15 instead of 16 should be ok, the small change in resistance I don't think will be a problem
Old 13th May 2020, 03:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you , does it make a difference if it is a " perfect Lay" inductor, or a foil inductor?
Old 13th May 2020, 04:49 AM   #4
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Primarily it should not matter.
Old 13th May 2020, 06:51 AM   #5
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Hallcon :

DCR matters more in shunt (going to ground) configurations than series, a small change like that in series is fine. If it's shunted, you may see a resistor in series. If so, compensate by changint the R value so the total (DCR + R) remains the same.
Old 13th May 2020, 08:04 AM   #6
fatmarley is offline fatmarley  England
diyAudio Member

May be best to show us the circuit diagram.
The mediaís the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and thatís power. Because they control the minds of the masses. - Malcolm X
Old 13th May 2020, 09:04 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

So maybe an easier format ---

Question - #1. There are a lot of choices for Inductors - along with the "Perfect Lay" Inductors at Parts Express, there are Jantzen Audio coils there too. And then there are foil Inductors , and also Litz Inductors too ..... is there a best kind of Inductor?

----- Sorry for the repeat question below but I realized I asked an incomplete question way up at the beginning of this thread , it's a Newbie Mistake ....

so 2nd Question - The first Inductor L1 is for the Midrange and - is a 0.259mH , Air Core #16 , 0.28 ohms

-- The Inductor I found that I thought was close to it was a Dayton " Perfect Lay " coil -- 0.30mH , 14 AWG , 0.13 ohms ... will this work? -- (The ohms are off a little).

- 3rd Question - I think I remember reading somewhere that the larger that the thickness of the wire , the better, for less resistance? ......... But if that's not the case , I also saw 15 AWG and 18 AWG... if the Air Core 14 AWG is not close enough.

- 4th Question - Do I need to unstrap and unwind some of the wire off to get the 0.259mH from the 0.30mH coil?

-------
- 5th Question - The second Inductor I need is L2 and it is for the Woofer -- L2 is 1.106mH , Air Core #16 , 0.377 ohms

and the one I found was - a Dayton Audio "Perfect Lay" 1.5mH , 14 AWG , 0.32 ohms ..... will this one work well?

- 6th Question - Do I need to unstrap it and unwind some of the wire off the coil to get from 1.5mH to 1.106mH?

- 8th question - the ohms are 0.377 ohms and what I found was 0.32 ohms which is further off then the first Inductor L1 was ...... is this too much of a difference?

Sorry for all the simple questions this is my first crossover that I am buying parts for.

Thank you,

Best Regards,
Dean
Old 13th May 2020, 10:15 AM   #8
giralfino is offline giralfino  Italy
diyAudio Member

I have a question for you: what is this design that calls for 0.259 and 1.106 mH inductors? A reputable design should also have a BOM of readily available parts.
Having said that, the third digit of the decimal part for a coil doesn't make any sense, so round off to 0.26 and 1.10 or 1.11. If the design you are following really needs those values, your only option is to buy oversized coils and trim them down to the desired value. You need an LCR meter though, even a cheap one could be sufficient.
Assuming you are buying from PE, for the 0.26 mH coil I'd choose the Jantzen 0.27 mH 0.23 Ohm DCR, for the 1.11 mH coil you have 3 options: the Jantzen 1.1 mH Litz wire 0.37 Ohm DCR, the Erse 1.1 mH 0.50 Ohm DCR or the Jantzen 1.2 mH 0.33 Ohm DCR. All but the last one can be used unchanged, the last needs to be cut down to value. If you buy different inductance coils (0.3 and 1.5 mH), then you need definitely to cut them down.
Changing the DCR of a coil modifies the FR. The effect depends on where the coil is used, and how much is the difference. Small DCR differences on a primary LP coil will be unnoticeable (for example the above suggested 0.5 Ohm instead of 0.38).

Ralf
Old 13th May 2020, 06:45 PM   #9
prairieboy is offline prairieboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

As you're searching .... don't ignore Erse - good, in all senses of the word, coil selection.
Old 13th May 2020, 07:01 PM   #10
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
May be best to show us the circuit diagram.
I second that!

Crossovers and which Inductor is right?Hide this!Advertise here!